Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to make screen shots smaller/ lower res on an IPad Pro

Is there a way to make screen shots smaller/ lower res on an IPad Pro? Either to take lower res or compress them after

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 2:15 PM

Sunstorms wrote:

Is there a way to make screen shots smaller/ lower res on an IPad Pro? Either to take lower res or compress them after

Yes. (The following is from iPadOS 16…) Save the screen shot to a file. Long-press on the file. Select Quick Action. Select Convert to JPEG. Select the desired size. Based in a quick test, a slightly-cropped screenshot PNG at 572 KB can be converted into a 16 KB small JPEG. Compressing to ZIP is also available, but the savings for a compressed PNG are negligible, based on a quick teat.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2022 2:15 PM in response to Sunstorms

Sunstorms wrote:

Yes. (The following is from iPadOS 16…) Save the screen shot to a file. Long-press on the file. Select Quick Action. Select Convert to JPEG. Select the desired size. Based in a quick test, a slightly-cropped screenshot PNG at 572 KB can be converted into a 16 KB small JPEG. Compressing to ZIP is also available, but the savings for a compressed PNG are negligible, based on a quick teat.

Dec 28, 2022 8:17 PM in response to MrHoffman

My iPad Pro M2 12.9” screenshots are also average 6MB in size & having to use a 3rd party piece of software to shrink them as well so can be uploaded to Discord servers without paying for Nitro. Wife’s 3rd Gen iPad Pro 12.9” (my old device) after upgrading to IOS16 also now does the same where as before the update, the file sizes for a full sized screenshot were a lot smaller.

As you can see from the attached image, you can see what sort of sizes are saved as default, & that is from a cropped full screen screenshot!

Dec 28, 2022 8:21 PM in response to MrHoffman

It all depends on the image being screenshot.

I own a 2015/2016 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro.

I just did screenshot from an eBay image and it came in at 2.5 MBs.

I did another screenshot with more dense pixel data and that came in at 3.5 MBs.

Also, the Photos app only does non-destructive editing/cropping, so the file size of any image never changes.

Dec 29, 2022 8:55 AM in response to MyNameIsOliverQueen

Okay, I have identified an easy means to create stonking large (testing) screenshots, if you have lots of photos in your library (like I do): open the Photos app, punch-shrink the library view to the smallest thumbnails view, and snapshot that.

Following the conversion sequence above, I can then convert a ~13 MB PNG (of thumbnails) into a ~2 MB HEIF.

Is there a way to make screen shots smaller/ lower res on an IPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.