Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Recovery for mac OS Monterey

Hello everybody

I had a mac Mini late 2012 and used Diskwarrior to fix disk issues and It worked really fine.

Now I have a MacBook Pro with Monterey 12.5.1 and APFS hard drive and I just saw that Diskwarrior is not compatible with this computer.

Any recommendations on which software should I use to fix disk problems?

Thanks in advance

Sebastián

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 1:17 PM

What exactly do you need to fix? Are you having problems of any kind? If so describe them in detail including when they occur, what app you're using when the occur, etc.

Also, download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2023 1:17 PM in response to Sebotas

What exactly do you need to fix? Are you having problems of any kind? If so describe them in detail including when they occur, what app you're using when the occur, etc.

Also, download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Jan 3, 2023 3:40 PM in response to Sebotas

APFS (apple's file-system/structure) does not include proper checksum in very low level data storage units, so data errors/issues/corruptions occur : 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 .

... amazing low sense of "integrity" & "security" , here & in many other macOS components !!

anyway, in HDD or HYBRID types of drives, it happens too much.

I see the notice here, from DiskWarrior, about their limitations.

Here is earlier discussion on DiskWarrior alternatives.

More alternatives:

Disk Drill Media Recovery (from apple appstore), supports Monterey.

iBoysoft Data Recovery. supports Monterey.

PhotoRec/TestDisk (src code). supports Monterey. cost-free.

More info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_File_System

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_recovery

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 4, 2023 6:18 AM in response to Old Toad

Hello Old Toad, thank you so much for your help.

The problem I'm having (not always) is when I go out of my home for long period of time (about 8 hours), left the computer turned ON and when I comeback I found the username home screen. I fill the pasword then hit enter and it's a warning saying "your computer was restarted because a problem" . That's it, no code number, anything. Once I got a kernel panic warning.

Here's the report

Thanks again

Sebastián

Jan 3, 2023 9:53 AM in response to Sebotas

Macs do not need software "fix" things, as PCs do. I will offer some suggestions which I have found to be useful in keeping my Macs operating at top efficiency. They are “maintenance” steps which are often ignored but should b done.

•  It is a good idea to run the Disk Utility app in the Repair mode periodically. If it reports some issues, then rerun it repeatedly as needed until the final report is ok.
  • It is important to occasionally restart a Mac. Ideally, once a week or more often. This does some system cleaning.
  • Regularly clearing the history of your browsers can help as all the data is stored in RAM. Clearing frees up RAM for system use.
  • Doing a restart in the safe mode can clear a number of problems. This is done by holding down the Shift key at start up. This process can take up to ten minutes while the computer is doing its maintenance and cleans the cache. You may then restart normally.
  • Last, and most important, you should remove any and all maintenance and antivirus programs. They will cause problems and will significantly slow your computer.

I hope these suggestions are helpful.

Jan 4, 2023 10:23 AM in response to Sebotas

I don't see any of the usual suspects but the regret indicates that your battery is getting on and the boot drive is getting low on free space.

The free space issue is noted in the Write speed:

Write speed: 722 MB/s

Read speed: 2791 MB/s

It should be in the 2000's. It's slow because there's not enough free space to save files, even temp cache and swap files without hunting for free bits here and there to save it. I would recommend you store enough files on an external SSD so you can maintain around 80 GB of free space. If you need a portable SSD for that consider I recommend drives from OWC (MacSales.com) as they have proven reliability, excellent customer support and warranties.  Consider one of these depending on your budget and needs: 250GB, 500GB or 1TB OWC Envoy Pro mini 

It's small and easy to carry with a laptop.

When you leave it on while you're gone is it just on battery power or plugged into the charger? If it's on battery power that may be why you're getting a reboot. Have your battery checked for its health.

Jan 3, 2023 1:58 PM in response to Sebotas

The only tool you should use to check macOS for errors is Disk Utility in the /Applications/Utilities folder.

Only thing to watch out for is to use the version of Disk Utility that came with the OS you're checking. As in, don't use the Big Sur version to check a Monterey install.

Alsoft had fire a few years back and it took them a while to recover. Since then, their site has said they're working on a version of Disk Warrior that will function with APFS, but I'm doubting we'll ever see it. And honestly, while I've had that title for a long time through several upgrade purchases, I won't be getting any new version that may eventually come out.

Jan 4, 2023 6:26 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks Kurt Lang, I don't understand when you say:

"Only thing to watch out for is to use the version of Disk Utility that came with the OS you're checking. As in, don't use the Big Sur version to check a Monterey install.

I updated from Big Sur to Monterey about 2 months ago, the current Disk Utility version is 21.5. I suppose it was updated with the OS upgrade. Isn't it?

Jan 4, 2023 8:15 AM in response to Sebotas

Thanks Kurt Lang, I don't understand when you say:

It doesn't apply to most users as they only have one bootable OS available at a time.

The version number of Disk Utility itself isn't the issue. It's the version installed with each major OS release. For example, I have Ventura as my main startup OS on the internal drive. But I also have Mojave installed on an external drive so I can use the CS6 Master Collection if I want.

The mistake would be using Disk Utility installed with Mojave to fix a drive with Ventura on it (or visa versa). Disk Utility for Mojave would try to make the permissions on the Ventura drive match what it thinks they should be for Mojave. In this case, the OS's are so different, the Ventura drive may not just run badly afterwards, it may not even boot.

Shorter version - only use Disk Utility to repair a drive that is from the same version of macOS.

Disk Recovery for mac OS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.