Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Good EXIF app?

What is a good EXIF app for Mac? I would like to quickly see the metadata of a bunch of images. Preview doesn't seem to get the right dates. The Photos app does, but I don't want to import images into Photos just to see the metadata. I would like to quickly drag and drop images onto an app and see the data right away. Thanks!

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 6:42 AM

When you use Apple's Image Capture application to get images from your Phone or Camera, it will use the image's EXIF DateTimeOriginal key for the creation date/time on macOS. Without Image Capture, the images will receive the current System date/time stamp when they hit the macOS filesystem.

I use ExifTool in the Terminal, or my custom Python3/Objective-C application to display all internal image data in a scrollable window.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2023 6:42 AM in response to Azurircred

When you use Apple's Image Capture application to get images from your Phone or Camera, it will use the image's EXIF DateTimeOriginal key for the creation date/time on macOS. Without Image Capture, the images will receive the current System date/time stamp when they hit the macOS filesystem.

I use ExifTool in the Terminal, or my custom Python3/Objective-C application to display all internal image data in a scrollable window.

Good EXIF app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.