Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS 13.2 Ventura cannot connect to smb share

Upgraded today to 13.2 Ventura and now I cannot connect from my MBA to my mac-mini on my local network (screen sharing still works).

Sometimes it connects, but then can't open a Folder. (Finder also crashes)

Anyone having this issue, and/or a solution?

Mac mini

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 4:38 PM

Similar questions

41 replies

Jan 26, 2023 7:21 AM in response to Tony T1

I have two MacStudio M1's connected with Windows 11 machine. SMB share works across everything, with exception of 1 external drive which exhibits the same characteristics as you all are describing. What was particularly challenging is that it worked fine on the Windows machine, but not on the 2nd MacStudio. Everything WAS working fine until update to Ventura 13.2.

Tried all the suggestions here, thank you to those who posted. Nothing worked. I found this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/10jwm8x/comment/j5pozdt/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

which led to a solution for me, though tedious. I created a new partition on my external drive in question. Created a new share, and started with one directory as a test move. Deleted the old share. Created a new share to the new partition.

Now it is working for me.

Jan 26, 2023 12:37 PM in response to Tony T1

Looks like the issue is cause by custom icons on share folders. Go to the Mac thats hosting the share, and remove the custom icon, then it should start working again.

To restore the original icon for a file or folder:

• On your Mac, select the file or folder
  • Right click --> Get Info
  • At the top of the Info window, select the small custom icon.
    • Make sure you click the small icon at the top of the Info window (not the large icon under Preview).
  • Choose Edit --> Cut in the menu bar.

Once I did that, my other Mac could connect to the share over SMB without issue.

Jan 26, 2023 6:02 PM in response to Tony T1

I saw this in another post. Maybe it will work for you.

Looks like the issue is caused by custom icons on share folders. Go to

the Mac that's hosting the share, and remove the custom icon, then it

should start working again.

To restore the original icon for a file or folder:

• On your Mac, select the file or folder
  • Right click --> Get Info
  • At the top of the Info window, select the small custom icon.
  • Make sure you click the small icon at the top of the Info window (not the large icon under Preview).
  • Choose Edit --> Cut in the menu bar.

Once I did that, my other Mac could connect to the share over SMB without issue.

Feb 7, 2023 12:54 PM in response to DaveGarratt

SOLVED!!! - DIFFERENT SOLUTION!

The custom icon thing wasn't available to me, but my issue ended up being just as dumb. Stunning Apple missed this, well... maybe... I'm pretty new to this side. I'm sharing my printer...

Earlier, I noticed that my shared printer from my MBP is shown as busy and not available... Hopped on the Mac mini to see what was going on and saw the same thing... Printer busy, but it wasn't doing anything.

Went to the printer settings and saw the printer I am sharing... isn't shared there anymore? Ok. Checked off share printer (to match the sharing settings)...

Once I did that, it blunk... went busy... then auto-printed off a set of docs that I tried to print 3 days ago. Then went idle available.

Restarted Mac mini.

Restarted MBP client.

Then magically, my RAID share auto-mounted as it's supposed to, my Time Machine share was available to be backed up... and I ran a test print to the shared printer without issue.

Must be running from the same daemon maybe? Bad config must have errored it out causing the multi-factorial set of issues.

Jan 25, 2023 8:37 AM in response to Patrick Rose

That finally worked. Turning off the SMB file sharing really seemed to mess up the system. Command line sudo reboot got the system back. Once back up, the General sys pref sharing menu was then accessible, still showed File Sharing on, then I turned it off... It did turn off, another soft reboot (Apple) -> Reboot. System came back, turned back on File Share, and file share + Time Machine backup drive working.

Thanks for the tip! Took a bit, but that finally worked. :)

Jan 26, 2023 12:57 PM in response to Paul Evans3

Mine was Mac to Mac, so I cannot speak for 3rd party hardware connecting to it. I will say though, in my 15+ years of Network/Systems administration (Windows side of things), it's generally not best practice to share out the entire drive. Would be worth a try mapping to a sub folder on the drive, and not to the drive itself, to see if that resolves it.

macOS 13.2 Ventura cannot connect to smb share

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.