Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some documents missing in icloud

changed some icloud settings and now only see some documents. i have tried deselecting & reselecting documents in the options tab on icloud drive but this doesn't help.

Have also tried restoring files through Icould.com which only restored 6 very recent files.

Help please?

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 1:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 2:22 AM

Sorry but an confused.

The missing documents were located on the Internal Drive and where being Synced to iCloud ?

If the files are missing from the Internal Drive and are missing from iCloud too

Bad news - unless the user has a Time Machine Backup from before the documents when missing - they are gone.

Link below may help to restore specific files using TM Backup

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2023 2:22 AM in response to Robodobie

Sorry but an confused.

The missing documents were located on the Internal Drive and where being Synced to iCloud ?

If the files are missing from the Internal Drive and are missing from iCloud too

Bad news - unless the user has a Time Machine Backup from before the documents when missing - they are gone.

Link below may help to restore specific files using TM Backup

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Jan 24, 2023 2:53 AM in response to Robodobie

The user may or may not have a complete picture of how iCloud works

iCloud is Only a Conduit to have files on Both the Internal Drive and also on iCloud.

When an Application is used and assigned to Sync with iCloud, changes made on the Local Copy will be automatic be reflected with those changes.

This will allow the user to see and access that same Changed Document from any other device that is signed into and using the Same Apple Apple ID.

iCloud is not designed and intended to be a Storage Space to Archive and Off Loan fees in order to make space on the Internal Drive.

That specific usage & practice is best used by an External Drive and / or some Other Cloud Based Storage Service.

Q - " Wasn’t aware my hard drive docs would be compromised "

A - In what exact way is the hard drive believed to be compromised - Details please.

A - Specific to Big Sur macOS 11 and above. The Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User.

A - The only compromise would only be from within the User Admin Account of this computer and not the entire Operating System

Jan 24, 2023 1:47 AM in response to Robodobie

Good Start in trouble shooting thus far 👍

In System Setting >> Your User ID >> iCloud Drive

Click on iCloud Drive which will open another screen like in 2nd image

Click on " Apps Syncing with iCloud Drive " >>> " Options "

Now, in the next 3 images are listed all the Applications that are sent to Sync Documents

Make sure all relevant categories are enable

First image

Second image

Third, Fourth and Last

Jan 25, 2023 1:57 AM in response to PRP_53

I say compromised because I have always had a hard copy on my macbook, it was only when I noticed that I didn’t see it any more that I looked at the forums to find so many people had the same issue. I checked the settings as advised as this was supposed to give me access back to my files on my physical drive; this was when I noticed that some were there but most were not.

I still haven’t had a response about the Recently Deleted setting in ICloud as I didn’t see this setting.

incidentally I have not deleted any files of late and have not made any changes to my documents.

I see there are a lot of users having similar issues?

Some documents missing in icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.