Massive ARC Problems after tvOS 16.3

Hello

After updating my Apple TV to tvOS 16.3, my ARC setup is completely messed up. I am using a 2017 Samsung TV that supports HDMI-CEC and ARC (not eARC). So far everything has worked great. After the update, ARC suddenly stopped working. My television no longer knew the Apple TV overnight and the sound output via it to my HomePod mini stereo setup no longer worked either. I disabled and re-enabled everything, but nothing helped. Suddenly no ARC signal can be found.

After I restarted both devices several times, the function was suddenly activated again and everything was as before. This was gone after about 30 seconds. After multiple on and off of HDMI-CEC (Samsung calls this Anynet+) multiple on and off of ARC on the Apple TV and multiple restarts it works again. However, I now have massive sound interruptions when I play sound from another device (in this case my Nintendo Switch). All of this ran with 16.2 without any problems and never caused any problems.

Does anyone have similar problems? Maybe a similar setup?

Does anyone know what else i could do? All my devices are up to date

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 1:26 PM

Greetings samflocis,

If you are having difficulty with that connection between your TV and your Apple TV device, begin by following the guidance found here.

Use HDMI ARC or eARC with your Apple TV 4K - Apple Support

"If HDMI ARC or eARC isn't working as expected

Take care.

Similar questions

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2023 1:26 PM in response to samflocis

Greetings samflocis,

If you are having difficulty with that connection between your TV and your Apple TV device, begin by following the guidance found here.

"If HDMI ARC or eARC isn't working as expected

Take care.

Jan 28, 2023 6:54 AM in response to Dustin_R_308

Thanks for the feedback Dustin_R_308. I already knew the support entry and I have implemented all the tips several times. Nevertheless, after the update it is still the case that after about an hour the sound gets massive dropouts every second. But it is definitely the connection between the TV and the Apple TV. If I use the Apple TV directly, there are no problems. Then it's most likely an Apple bug...

I'm considering buying two 2nd Gen HomePods, but Apple won't get $600 from me as long as such massive bugs persist.

Jan 28, 2023 11:42 AM in response to samflocis

• In the Apple TV Audio Video settings there’s a test HDMI Connection. Run that test as well.
  • Your TV may or may not have a way to configure the HDMI inputs. Look in settings - Inputs or external devices - ARC and your Nintendo device
  • Check for any firmware updates on your Samsung and install.
  • Restart your tv
  • Restart your Apple TV
  • Make sure you’ve also updated the HomePods and the iOS device you used to set up HomePods to 16.3
  • You might need to Reset HomePod - use the pressing the top method, then set them up again. Be sure to Ungroup the stereo pair first.

Feb 3, 2023 1:59 AM in response to AlexanderSwift

Thank you for your update. I kinda can't believe it. The cables are the same as before the update. I use the cable that came with the Apple TV to connect the Apple TV to the TV, and the cable that came with the Switch to connect the Switch to the TV. I think Nintendo didn't include a 4K cable, but the sound problems also occur when watching regular TV. (I use the built-in tuner in the TV.) But the sound problems only appear after about an hour.

I did the new HomeKit update before Apple pulled it. But could it really be because of that? I have no other problems with my smart home.

Feb 1, 2023 10:13 AM in response to samflocis

Since my post I’m now having trouble with my HomePods, even on the ATV not connected via ARC, it won’t even play to HomePods. I will try resetting them.

The sound cuts out on the one connected via ARC/eARC HDMI but only while using the TV Apps. On the Apple TV Box and the cable TV audio, it’s fine.

As to the Audio Return Channel not showing or turning on in ATV settings, I was able to fix that by going into my Sony TV settings and changing how the inputs worked, once I turned on Dolby vision for that input, it finally turned on. For a Sony, you might need to turn on Braviasync. For other TV’s HDMI-CEC needs to be on. Check with your specific TV.

Note: You need at least second Gen Apple TV 4K

You can submit feedback to let Apple know: Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

Apr 27, 2024 3:16 AM in response to Amhixon

I want to send my ps5 audio signal through my other HDMI port on my TV to the apple TV so I can get full Atmos use out of them …

That is not how it works. Use the (e)ARC port on the TV for the connection with the audio processing unit (Denon). PS5 audio then wouldn’t have anything to do with the Apple TV box.

(e)ARC through Apple TV is a special feature only for use with HomePod speakers. Not for use with an AV receiver, as Apple TV would be the audio processing unit for HomePods.

What kind of Denon? Is it an AV receiver?

Connect your devices through the Denon, and connect the Denon to the TV:

Apple TV 4K box →[HDMI]↘︎

PS5 →[HDMI]→ AV receiver ⇄[HDMI (e)ARC]⇄ TV

other HDMI device(s) →[HDMI]↗︎

Set up Dolby Atmos or surround sound on Apple TV with a sound bar or AV receiver - Apple Support

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Jan 28, 2023 11:12 AM in response to samflocis

I have two Apple TV 4K latest gen both working fine with 16.2. Now with the 16.3 update both units have messed up the ARC audio and cannot find their separate receivers. In the tvOS system audio settings the menu “Audio Return Channel” to play television audio on ARC is not even visible or an option. This is clearly a 16.3 bug as the same problem is showing up on two ATV 4K units. Hopefully a bug fix 16.3.1 comes out very soon.

Jan 28, 2023 3:10 PM in response to samflocis

Come here for exactly the same problem, after the update a few days ago audio levels are so low that I have my amp turned up to 80% to barely hear films. The audio tracks in films are not there and looking at my AMP, which tells me that the signal coming in from the Apple TV is ‘unknown’ service clearly a bug in the output signal of AppleTV.

I’ve done all the tech support 101 stuff I’m and engineer thus can confidently say if the eARC / ARC signal contains no protocol your receiver/ TV won’t know what to do with the signal. (Switch to 16bit audio to use an old protocol and your volume might increase but that’s not a fix).

Jan 28, 2023 4:42 PM in response to AlexanderSwift

Workaround for my Audio levels but I've lost ARC, following the Input Signal might show 'unknown' the signal comes down the HDMI cable. On your receiver hunt out HDMI Setup and look for something like HDMI Control and turn it off, I get my output volume back but lost my HDMI control. 

Equipment. Apple TV 4k (circa 2020) and Sony TV (circa 2018) both connected to the Denon AVR-S750H 

Good luck

Feb 2, 2023 1:40 AM in response to samflocis

I’ve solved my issue (if I haven’t I’ll come back and post another update), while I thought there was no difference in HDMI cables, turns out there is. I went to the Apple Store booked an appointment to have them plug-in and do the diagnostic, the diagnostic came back clean. I had a chat with a very knowledgeable Apple genius person and it was interesting that he didn’t say why, when I sure did the video of what was going on he just instantly said it is the cables, I purchased two minutes of 4K, certified Belkin cables, and everything works again.

I’m thinking Apple have changed in their software in the negotiation that happens for HDMI 🤷‍♂️

note you need both cables to be certified TV to AV and AV to Apple TV

Feb 4, 2023 12:24 PM in response to samflocis

Yes, since the tvOS 16.3 update, my wife and I have to *daily* unplug and replug the HDMI cable in order to get video signal from our brand new 3rd gen Apple TV 4K. As you might imagine, reaching around the back of my receiver every time I want to watch something has become a real pleasure. HDMI, as a standard, tries to do too much, does it all poorly, and as such has become a nightmare. I can assure you that nothing in our setup changed except for the Apple TV (4k gen2 to gen3) and tvOS software update. My coworkers have similar issues.

Regarding HDMI cables, yes the Apple TV is the most sensitive device I've come across, but once you get a cable that works, you're good. Any problems you start experiencing after you've been stable with a cable - that's the fault of Apple software updates.

Feb 27, 2023 3:34 PM in response to samflocis

I had a problem with HomePods making clicking and popping sounds when playing back audio from my Samsung TV (connected to ARC HDMI port). It sounds like radio interference and doesn’t occur until the speakers have been in use for a couple of hours.

Other posts suggested decoupling the speakers which work as a stereo pair, then removing them from Apple Home then reinstalling and then re coupling. I found that whilst the HomePods were running 16.3.2 the AppleTV which they also serve was running 16.3.1.

having upgraded Apple TV so everything was on 16.3.2 I installed a super high speed HDMI cable then did the remove and replace procedure above. I used the AppleTV for a couple of hours this afternoon and the TV for three hours tonight. The speakers have been faultless throughout. Hope this helps anyone with this awful clicking problem.

Jul 31, 2023 5:18 PM in response to samflocis

By any chance did you connect an HDMI splitter/switcher to your setup?

I was having an issue where my Apple TV no longer recognized my receiver for ARC. HDMI-CEC functions were also not working. I realized after a lot of troubleshooting, that the issue began when I hooked up an HDMI switcher to the receiver. As soon as I disconnected the switcher everything worked properly again.

hope this helps someone.

Massive ARC Problems after tvOS 16.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.