Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update to ventura 13. 2 : apps denied

i have upgrade from ventura 13.1 to 13.2.

Since then the access to my apple id is not possible anymore :

When i try to logon to my appleid the answer is:

unknown error

so a lot of things are not working anymore like: mail , whatsapp web and also finder.

on my macbook air : no problems to access my appleid

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 1:27 PM

8 replies

Jan 26, 2023 2:15 PM in response to jpv46

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Jan 28, 2023 3:16 AM in response to jpv46

About the root user

The user named root, or superuser, is a special user account in UNIX-like operating systems that has unrestricted read and write privileges to all areas of the file system in OS X 10.10 or earlier. However, in OS X 10.11 or later, the root user’s write access to certain areas of the file system is restricted.

See the Apple Support article About System Integrity Protection on your Mac.

The root user is disabled by default. Although you can enable it, it’s recommended that you avoid logging into a Mac as the root user, either locally or remotely. Instead, use the sudo command-line tool to perform tasks that require root user privileges. You can restrict access to sudo by adding users to the /private/etc/sudoers file.

WARNING: Use extreme caution if you log in as the root user. You can lose data, damage the system by moving or deleting critical files, or cause other problems that can only be solved by reinstalling macOS.

If you log in as the root user, always log out after completing your task, log in as an administrator, then disable the root user.

To learn how to enable the root user, see the Apple Support article How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password. When you create a password for the root user, choose a complex password that contains alphanumeric and special characters, to prevent the password from being compromised.

Jan 28, 2023 5:04 AM in response to Old Toad

i started in safe mode. finder starts ,but immediately after i receive the second screen: when i choose apple id settings, the system setting screen appears and at the level of appleid it's empty (see this picture). I went also in terminal to check authorisations and i saw that all the directories and files from my userid have root:admin in place of my userid:staff . in fact when i installed ventura 13.2 i had to agree new rules for the cloud. it's after that that it went wrong . now i restarted in safe mode and did the choice later : finder went away and the same message appeared ,now for mediaservices. sorry that it"s not resolved !

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Jan 28, 2023 2:50 AM in response to Old Toad

ok, i'll do that. i have seen in terminal that the profiles of directories are not my userid admin or staff any more but root:admin. i'm ready to change it to myuserid:(staff or admin?) as on my macbook air. ultimately i think to restart from nill and do a migration assistant using my latest BU before the upgrade to ventura 13.2 (if it's possible of course). your meaning please? if possible inform me of the steps to proceed with

thank you already for your help

Jan 28, 2023 4:30 AM in response to Old Toad

good news; i didn't have to reinstall the system ; in terminal i corrected all what root:admin under USERS/myuserid to myuserid:admin and rebooted my desktop and everything is ok.

how did happen i don't know. it started after the update to Ventura 13.2

sorry for this. thank for your help and have a good we!

update to ventura 13. 2 : apps denied

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.