Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pages.app no Auto Rotation option when printing?

Apple Preview has this option when printing. Apple Pages doesn't appear to have this option.

I have labels that are 4 inches by 6 inches that I wan't to print in landscape mode, just like an envelope is printed... 4 inches tall and 6 inches wide. The only way I can get the text and layout to work is to use Portrait mode and rotate all of the text. Why do we have to rotate all of the text in order to print in landscape?

I am feeding the short edge of the label into the printer first not the long edge of the label.

If I layout the addresses on the label like an envelope and print the label the text prints as if I had the page in Portrait mode when it's most certainly not. For comparison... who feeds an 8.5 x 11 page into the printer sideways with the 11 inch edge first!!!

Very confused here.

Switching the dimensions for height and length in page setup does nothing.

iMac 27″

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 11:54 PM

Using Portrait orientation and rotating the print should not be necessary.

The usual practice would be to set the paper size to 4x6 inches and the orientation to Landscape.

Reversing the order of the page dimensions should have no effect other than a possible request from Pages or the print software to change it to 4x6. Landscape always means 'longer sides at top and bottom of the page, and is an instruction to the printer to rotate the printed image to fit that orientation of the page. That's built into the printer, and does not require rotating the paper before feeding it into the printer.

My Epson correctly rotated an example created from your description, but did have difficulty with the 4x6 inch sheet as this was too short to be manually inserted (short side first) far enough into the rear slot to be grabbed by the rollers that were to pull it in and put it into position to receive the ink. When it was poked a bit further in, it was pulled/pushed all the way through to the exit tray, and the printer proceeded to pick up a US letter sheet from one of the feed trays, and printed the 4x6" 'label' on that, in the correct orientation, but not quite in the expected left-to right location. Odd, as the printer has not balked at or erred in correctly addressing a number 10 envelope, which it has been asked to do regularly over the course of time that I've I've had it.

Here are the settings that should be used for printing in Landscape orientation:

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2023 11:54 PM in response to johnnyjackhammer

Using Portrait orientation and rotating the print should not be necessary.

The usual practice would be to set the paper size to 4x6 inches and the orientation to Landscape.

Reversing the order of the page dimensions should have no effect other than a possible request from Pages or the print software to change it to 4x6. Landscape always means 'longer sides at top and bottom of the page, and is an instruction to the printer to rotate the printed image to fit that orientation of the page. That's built into the printer, and does not require rotating the paper before feeding it into the printer.

My Epson correctly rotated an example created from your description, but did have difficulty with the 4x6 inch sheet as this was too short to be manually inserted (short side first) far enough into the rear slot to be grabbed by the rollers that were to pull it in and put it into position to receive the ink. When it was poked a bit further in, it was pulled/pushed all the way through to the exit tray, and the printer proceeded to pick up a US letter sheet from one of the feed trays, and printed the 4x6" 'label' on that, in the correct orientation, but not quite in the expected left-to right location. Odd, as the printer has not balked at or erred in correctly addressing a number 10 envelope, which it has been asked to do regularly over the course of time that I've I've had it.

Here are the settings that should be used for printing in Landscape orientation:

Regards,

Barry

Jan 30, 2023 9:30 AM in response to Barry

Thank you for the response. I am not sure why it kept printing in Portrait when Landscape was selected and the Document was in Landscape mode. I restarted the program and then restarted the computer and after creating a new 6 x 4 page setup it's working correctly. It could be that I had initially created a 4 x 6 with no margins ( because I did get a warning from the printer driver saying one side was too short)

Apple Pages.app no Auto Rotation option when printing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.