Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple MAPS App

Does anybody know why the uncertainty circle around the user's location in the Apple MAPS App no longer reduces to a dot (after the GPS fix is complete, apparently) in the new version of the app, as it used to do in the old version? I cannot find where this behavior can be changed in the MAPS settings.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 10:55 AM

I’ve not been able to recreate the issue, that you describe, with an iPad Pro running iPadOS 16.3.

The most logical explanation for your observed behaviour is poor geometry. For an accurate position fix, good DOP statistics require a clear view of the sky - with at least four visible GPS (or other GNSS constellation) satellites with good geometry relative to your location. Some locations, typically at high latitudes, will frequently experience poor DOP.

You may also be experiencing interference to the GNSS satellite signals. Many counties are conducting jamming trials that are intended to either significantly degrade, or completely deny access to, accurate GNSS satellite positioning.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2023 10:55 AM in response to DaddyRick4253

I’ve not been able to recreate the issue, that you describe, with an iPad Pro running iPadOS 16.3.

The most logical explanation for your observed behaviour is poor geometry. For an accurate position fix, good DOP statistics require a clear view of the sky - with at least four visible GPS (or other GNSS constellation) satellites with good geometry relative to your location. Some locations, typically at high latitudes, will frequently experience poor DOP.

You may also be experiencing interference to the GNSS satellite signals. Many counties are conducting jamming trials that are intended to either significantly degrade, or completely deny access to, accurate GNSS satellite positioning.

Apple MAPS App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.