Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari won't play embedded wav files

I was looking at a web page https://google-research.github.io/noise2music/ which has embedded wav files. When I try to play them on my iMac running 13.2 or my iPhone X running ios 16.1.2 using the Safari browser, clicking on play indicates that it's playing, but no sound comes out. However, when I go to the same web page using Firefox on my iMac it works as expected. Is there some setting that I need to make in order for this to work in Safari? It doesn't work on Firefox on my iPhone either.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 11:43 PM

Hi VictorSMiller,

Re: Is there some setting that I need to make in order for this to work in Safari?

Am no expert, yet it seems the answer is No. It is not uncommon for web-sites to be browser-specific.

Eg: .wav files would generally need to be converted for them to play on Mac. However embedded .wav files require a browser, unless they can be downloaded / converted.

Seems the web-page article was prepared mainly for Windows computers / browsers.

Perhaps the article-creators did not have the know-how to prepare and code it for all browsers, or did not have the time or energy to devote to doing so,

Apparently .wav files were created early on by Microsoft to play on Windows media player, and there is now a newer Microsoft format .wmv. Many cross-platform media players will play .wav files and a variety of other file formats.

Apple has used .iaff .8svx and .mp3 file formats, and seems to no longer support the older .wav format that earlier versions of QuickTime (eg QuickTime 7) did play.

All the best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2023 11:43 PM in response to VictorSMiller

Hi VictorSMiller,

Re: Is there some setting that I need to make in order for this to work in Safari?

Am no expert, yet it seems the answer is No. It is not uncommon for web-sites to be browser-specific.

Eg: .wav files would generally need to be converted for them to play on Mac. However embedded .wav files require a browser, unless they can be downloaded / converted.

Seems the web-page article was prepared mainly for Windows computers / browsers.

Perhaps the article-creators did not have the know-how to prepare and code it for all browsers, or did not have the time or energy to devote to doing so,

Apparently .wav files were created early on by Microsoft to play on Windows media player, and there is now a newer Microsoft format .wmv. Many cross-platform media players will play .wav files and a variety of other file formats.

Apple has used .iaff .8svx and .mp3 file formats, and seems to no longer support the older .wav format that earlier versions of QuickTime (eg QuickTime 7) did play.

All the best :-)

Safari won't play embedded wav files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.