Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2019 iMac 21.5" Black Screen / Loud fan

Any suggestions?

iMac has a black screen. It boots with a chime and I can use it with an external monitor, although the CPU seems to be throttled.

Apple store took a look at it and told me it needs a new screen - expensive. I replaced the screen on my own, but didn't solve the problem. Same symptoms as old screen.

All screen connections appear good.

Any suggestions about what I should try next?

Thanks!!

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 11:58 AM

I replaced the screen on my own,

Was the fan working overtime before you replaced the screen? If it was, did the screen failure and the fan thing occur simultaneously? Might be a clue there if that is the case.

If the external display works, then the soldered-on video chipset is working.

As you have a working display, did you run diagnostics? That may at least explain the fan running fast.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

There is a link in that article that leads to the "translator" document that tells use what code refers to what part.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2023 11:58 AM in response to David_Apple_iMac

I replaced the screen on my own,

Was the fan working overtime before you replaced the screen? If it was, did the screen failure and the fan thing occur simultaneously? Might be a clue there if that is the case.

If the external display works, then the soldered-on video chipset is working.

As you have a working display, did you run diagnostics? That may at least explain the fan running fast.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

There is a link in that article that leads to the "translator" document that tells use what code refers to what part.

Feb 11, 2023 11:50 AM in response to David_Apple_iMac

I suggest that you run an EtreCheck evaluation of your Mac. EtreCheck is a safe and recommended utility from a trusted developer and respected ASC contributor. The diagnostic app gathers important info about your hardware and software and reports it back to you. It is very highly regarded and meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help others help you troubleshoot and resolve your Mac problems. The EtreCheck report will not include any personally identifiable info.

Please navigate to EtreCheck.com and download the free version. Be sure to enable full disk access when you install the app. Once you’ve run the app and created your report please post it with your reply to this message. 

You must upload the full report. To see how, please click >  How to use Add Text when posting… EtreCheck Report.

We can use the EtreCheck report to look for the things that may be causing your problem and advise how to correct them.

2019 iMac 21.5" Black Screen / Loud fan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.