Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 7 Elevation "---". Watch OS 9.3

First the VO2 max stopped working. I understand I probably did not do enough outdoor activities. This is not an essential feature for me.

Then the elevation stopped reading months ago. It shows "---". I contacted Apple support.

I tried

1) Unpaired and paired again. Setting up my watch as a new device

2) Location service definitely turned on

3) Walked outdoors for several days now.

it still "---" at me.

I tried to run diagnostic on my watch during my session with apple supprt. 🤣 support could not retrive the diagnostic logs from the watch. It kept on stating "Awaiting support" with a stuck progress bar. I have not heard from the support engineer since then.

This is also not an essential feature for me. But it is annoying to have a watch with features not working.

Can i get some partial refunds for dummy features? (Rhetorical question)

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 10:45 PM

Update:

for those who may encounter similar issue.

I went down to a local Apple Genius Bar.

The staff ran a hardware diagnostic on the spot and it passed.

But he explained that the hardware diagnostics would not check the functionality of the altimeter sensor and said that watch should be sent in the the Apple Repair Centre for further assessment.

In the end, I received a replacement watch without any charges (luckily I bought Applecare).

When I first paired up the new Watch, the elevation showed “- - -“ again and my heart sank. I thought it must be a software issue then.

I decided that was it and I was not going to waste any more time on this and decided to live with it.

After several hours the altimeter started working!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2023 10:45 PM in response to tay292

Update:

for those who may encounter similar issue.

I went down to a local Apple Genius Bar.

The staff ran a hardware diagnostic on the spot and it passed.

But he explained that the hardware diagnostics would not check the functionality of the altimeter sensor and said that watch should be sent in the the Apple Repair Centre for further assessment.

In the end, I received a replacement watch without any charges (luckily I bought Applecare).

When I first paired up the new Watch, the elevation showed “- - -“ again and my heart sank. I thought it must be a software issue then.

I decided that was it and I was not going to waste any more time on this and decided to live with it.

After several hours the altimeter started working!

Apple Watch 7 Elevation "---". Watch OS 9.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.