You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tagged folders not returning in Finder "find" results

Hi, this has been an issue ever since I started tagging, and it spans two machines, three OSs, and many, many Spotlight reindexes. Nothing has worked yet. Maybe one of you has an answer besides rebuilding Spotlight index.

What I've done:

1. I have an external USB drive full of music in folders for each album; about 3,500 folders
  2. I started tagging each folder with things like genre, label, year, country of origin, etc.
    1. It's turned into a lot of tags, probably ~100, maybe more

Steps to replicate the problem:

1. Open the big folder of music
  2. Command-F to show the advanced search panel
  3. Set the query to Tags > Contains or Matches > One of the tag names, like "USA" or "90s" or "Rock"

The Problem:

• The results are accurate, but incomplete
  • Finder returns everything I've recently tagged with the searched tag
  • It usually returns a few odd ones that I don't think I've touched recently

Any thoughts on why Finder won't return the entire list? Have I just overloaded it?

Could I do this in Terminal and get accurate results? The original idea was to use Saved Searches to easily see for ex: all albums from the '90s by California bands. Silly, but kind of nice.

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 5:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 7:19 AM

Finder will automatically add, but not necessarily activate new custom tag names it finds on files and folders. You would need to visit Finder > Settings > Tags and do that manually. Since the Finder's Find and a Finder Window Search field use Spotlight, if you add new tags to your external drive, and if its formatting supports Spotlight, then the external drive would need to be re-indexed by Spotlight to learn about any new tags you may have added.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 20, 2023 7:19 AM in response to muxlow

Finder will automatically add, but not necessarily activate new custom tag names it finds on files and folders. You would need to visit Finder > Settings > Tags and do that manually. Since the Finder's Find and a Finder Window Search field use Spotlight, if you add new tags to your external drive, and if its formatting supports Spotlight, then the external drive would need to be re-indexed by Spotlight to learn about any new tags you may have added.

Tagged folders not returning in Finder "find" results

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.