Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notification Management on iPhone and Apple Watch

I have seen this thread, and to an extent it helps explain, but I am still struggling:

I have an IPhone XR and recently bought a… - Apple Community

I have an iPhone 12 and recently purchased the Apple Watch Ultra. Ideally I want to get notifications on both devices and I am a bit flustered that this doesn't appear to be possible?

Even then, per the above thread, if both devices are locked (my phone was def locked and my watch is set to unlock with phone or wrist raise which I hadn't done in quite some time), I am getting notifications on the watch only. My phone does not vibrate or light up showing a notification.

I feel like when I first set this up (literally yesterday) it worked as I had hoped (even getting notifs on both devices?), and then a new watchOS installed and now I am struggling.

Please help otherwise I don't think the watch is worth the price - too inconvenient having seemingly arbitrary notifications to whichever device.

Apple Watch Ultra

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 2:45 PM

I've submitted two requests, one recently and the other was a few years ago (whenever the Series 3 was 'new').

I'm totally baffled by the fact that it hasn't ever been added.

My concept is that even a one size fits all hat, doesn't fit everyone :-/

The "Prominent" vibration setting was added a few updates after my first request. It has helped well enough that I hadn't been stressing about it for several years.

I'm a laborer in the true sense! I weld, I run power tools, swing hammers, and... like right now, because I own the business, I also find myself at a desk in my office. For all the other times, I'd like to hear and feel my phone and I wouldn't mind if both are going off at the same time all the time. The hard labor creates lots of vibrations and my phone is a lot louder.

I would recommend two things:

1. Set your watch to Prominent
  2. Eliminate unnecessary notifications that don't really need to go to your watch (i.e. a personal e-mail that is constantly being buzzed with spam). The fewer number of notifications going to your watch, the less chance your wrist will become "used to" the vibrations. Not sure if I explained this one quite right. You and your wrist will get to a point that you don't feel the vibration because it happens so often.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2023 2:45 PM in response to azrasound

I've submitted two requests, one recently and the other was a few years ago (whenever the Series 3 was 'new').

I'm totally baffled by the fact that it hasn't ever been added.

My concept is that even a one size fits all hat, doesn't fit everyone :-/

The "Prominent" vibration setting was added a few updates after my first request. It has helped well enough that I hadn't been stressing about it for several years.

I'm a laborer in the true sense! I weld, I run power tools, swing hammers, and... like right now, because I own the business, I also find myself at a desk in my office. For all the other times, I'd like to hear and feel my phone and I wouldn't mind if both are going off at the same time all the time. The hard labor creates lots of vibrations and my phone is a lot louder.

I would recommend two things:

1. Set your watch to Prominent
  2. Eliminate unnecessary notifications that don't really need to go to your watch (i.e. a personal e-mail that is constantly being buzzed with spam). The fewer number of notifications going to your watch, the less chance your wrist will become "used to" the vibrations. Not sure if I explained this one quite right. You and your wrist will get to a point that you don't feel the vibration because it happens so often.

Feb 20, 2023 10:05 AM in response to azrasound

It's how Apple designed notifications to work with a paired watch (doesn't matter what brand of watch).

The notifications will happen on only one device.

If the phone screen is active, the notification will happen on the phone.

If the phone screen is locked (or inactive), the notification will happen on the watch.

There is a workaround but it's not a good workaround - turn off wrist detection.

You're best bet is to join the crowd, fill out and submit this form requesting that they add a user selectable notification setting:

Feedback - Watch - Apple

Feb 20, 2023 10:10 AM in response to Pilerman

Wow, that's a real bummer. I come from a Garmin fenix 6 pro watch and I'm pretty sure I always got a notification on both my phone and the watch. Obviously the downside is I only got a notification with the Garmin and couldn't interact/respond to it and hence my desire to move to the Apple Watch.

But my issue is sometimes I just miss the wrist vibration but I feel the phone, or just see it light up if it's sitting on the desk in front of me. I know I can change the vibration power on the watch but just another workaround for a basic feature request I think.

Has there been any talk about when this capability might be implemented, if at all, in a future OS release?

BTW, thanks for the very prompt reply!

Notification Management on iPhone and Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.