Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

HomePod Mini keeps disconnecting

Seriously! These devices are the absolute worst ever!! The only devices on my home network which won't stay connected and they vary when Apple Update their Software! Horrible horrible horrible!!

How can they just stay connected? Imagine sitting listening to music and one of the ones I have set as a stero pair keeps dropping!!! WHAT CAN I DO?? I AM ANGRY TO SAY THE LEAST!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 4:05 PM

On your iPhones/iPads, try turning the default "Private Wi-Fi Address" feature OFF for your Home[Pod] WiFi SSID(s). The feature as implemented can confuse peer-to-peer connections on many home networks (particularly mesh setups).

Settings --> Wi-Fi --> [Your Home(Pod) Network] > (i) > "Private Wi-Fi Address" = OFF.

NOTE: This will cause a "Privacy warning". You can ignore this. There's no risk; it's your network.

Next, reboot everything (including WiFi infrastructure) and reset your homepods so that they learn you've set Private Wi-Fi Address OFF for the network. This guy reports observing MAC address changes on his HomePod mini until he turned off Private WiFi Addresses and reset his homepod: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/rxkcqh/homepod_mini_private_address/. HomePods shouldn't use private wifi addrs, but they do get the network details from your iphone.

Background: Starting with iOS 14 (late 2020), Apple made iOS devices use a unique random MAC address by default on every WiFi network you connect to. They did this to prevent nefarious snoopers from tracking your iPhone hardware's WiFi MAC address across WiFi networks. I've never heard of any such snoopers or any exploits/hacks associated with WiFi MAC address tracking (although I've searched for examples). Seems like Apple's best example of a solution looking for a problem.

Please report back if this advice helps bring stability to your Home[Pods]. Or not. Thx.

74 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2023 4:05 PM in response to elusiv

On your iPhones/iPads, try turning the default "Private Wi-Fi Address" feature OFF for your Home[Pod] WiFi SSID(s). The feature as implemented can confuse peer-to-peer connections on many home networks (particularly mesh setups).

Settings --> Wi-Fi --> [Your Home(Pod) Network] > (i) > "Private Wi-Fi Address" = OFF.

NOTE: This will cause a "Privacy warning". You can ignore this. There's no risk; it's your network.

Next, reboot everything (including WiFi infrastructure) and reset your homepods so that they learn you've set Private Wi-Fi Address OFF for the network. This guy reports observing MAC address changes on his HomePod mini until he turned off Private WiFi Addresses and reset his homepod: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/rxkcqh/homepod_mini_private_address/. HomePods shouldn't use private wifi addrs, but they do get the network details from your iphone.

Background: Starting with iOS 14 (late 2020), Apple made iOS devices use a unique random MAC address by default on every WiFi network you connect to. They did this to prevent nefarious snoopers from tracking your iPhone hardware's WiFi MAC address across WiFi networks. I've never heard of any such snoopers or any exploits/hacks associated with WiFi MAC address tracking (although I've searched for examples). Seems like Apple's best example of a solution looking for a problem.

Please report back if this advice helps bring stability to your Home[Pods]. Or not. Thx.

Dec 23, 2023 11:43 AM in response to elusiv

This thread is older, but I wanted to chime in that as an Apple user of most tech products for 20 years I'll say that the HomePod Mini I own is the biggest disappointment I've had from Apple. It constantly drops out when watching videos, listening to music/podcasts, etc. It also completely disconnects if I need to add a Bluetooth device to my laptop for any reason and is a complete hassle to reconnect. Looking for a fix I've read countless forum advice, watched videos, and discussed in-person with Apple associates, and I have never identified a remedy. If anyone at Apple wants to help me, I welcome it... please.

Jan 9, 2024 3:45 PM in response to bgmeek

I am now UNHAPPY to report that the problem has returned this evening. Dead in the water...again. I am tempted to assume there was an OS update from Apple that has FUBAR'd the mini's...again.

I am not going to jump through all of the hoops again only to have this happen again down the road. I declare my mini's to be now useless paperweights, and an unpleasant and expensive learning experience at the hands of Apple.

Why should we have to jump through all these hoops to try to find a solution that Apple themselves appear to be incapable of finding??

No more Apple for me.

Mar 20, 2023 10:50 AM in response to elusiv

I have a home full of 'pods, old and new. Sadly they do the same, totally unpredictable *except TV stereo duo always perform flawlessly* via 4K AppleTV. But all the others drop off from time to time when streaming radio or music content around the home. Not ideal to say the least. Clinging on to the hope that an update will resolve eventually.

Mar 21, 2023 3:29 AM in response to elusiv

I’ve had the one HomePod 2 for a month maybe less, constantly so far all I’ve had is music being cut off because of it disconnecting. I’ve restarted router. Reset the HomePod and so on. Even changed its place to see if it’s wireless interference but nothing changes anything. I have had a horrible experience so far to say the least

Dec 27, 2023 9:47 PM in response to bgmeek

I am happy to report that bgmeek's suggestion has worked for me. My first attempt failed (user error) because I wasn't clear on the difference between "restart" and "reset". After turning off the private wifi address setting, I removed all four homepod mini speakers from the MyHome app and reset them to the original factory settings. I then added them one by one as if setting them up for the first time.

I seems I now have a stable connection.

Many thanks to bgmeek.

Nov 24, 2023 3:28 AM in response to elusiv

FWIW: I have 6x HomePods Mini and 2x HomePods 2nd Gen (setup as stereo). I have Apple TV Latest Gen (MN893LL/A) connected straight to my WiFi router using hard wire! My WiFi is 6x Amazon eero Pro 6 mesh Wi-Fi 6. I use an Apple MacMini M1 as entertainment system also hard wired to same WiFi Router.

My Fiber connection is so fast that my Apple TV never skips a beat, and despite all this, my one HomePod just stops playing. Mostly (80% of the time) the right one. Both are less than 6ft from the WiFi/TV/Apple TV/Apple MacMini M1.

I have figure out that if I open the Control Center, click on Audio, and then click on the connected HomePods (stereo paid), it then unclicks itself for a second or two, then clicks itself back, and when I exit, the sound is back.

... but come on, surely this could be fixed:

• Pause whats playing (optionally) until the sound is back.
  • Instead of waiting for action, keep trying to get reconnected and the sound back.
  • Apple, tell us what gear we need to get this working.

Mar 18, 2024 5:27 PM in response to TheWildRover

Thank you so much.

4 * Apple TV 4k -> 189€ * 4 = 756€

9 * HomePod Mini -> 109€ * 9 = 981€

2 * HomePod 1ª Gen -> 325€ * 2 = 650€

Total -> 2380€

A good investment, and as is rightly said, it still doesn't work, now with version 17.4

I have a lot of nice paperweights and I end up using TV speakers or Alexa.... via bluetooth.

AirPlay also doesn't work properly.

I do not recommend buying HomePods at all. There are better and even cheaper sound solutions on the market.

Mar 20, 2024 11:42 AM in response to molvizar2

Hello.

In our homes, I suppose normal homes, it is not necessary to have private MAC addresses, all devices go through the router with the same MAC address and the same public IP. Furthermore, I consider that it is a security problem that random MAC addresses are generated inside my house, since, in my case, I know the MAC addresses of all my devices, if there is a new device, or if they change, I find out. If they are random, I don't know if they are mine or not. Well, in this case yes, because a new one appears and I'm missing one of mine..., but the one that has changed stops being heard....

I don't understand why the HomePods and Apple TVs, inside my house, have to use random MAC addresses, except so that I can't block access to the access points and have less security.

I don't know if the reason they disconnect and reconnect, hearing one, another or none, every day, has anything to do with this or not, but it seems absurd to me.

On my iMac, iPhone, iPad,... and those of my family, I can choose between using private MAC addresses or not, obviously I have set it to not for my SSID and my network, and I have no problem recognizing them when scanning the network as my devices, with iNet Scanner for example.

By the way, I have bought 3 AirPort Extreme 802.11 AC. Everything is Apple now. There is no Mesh network. The problem remains the same.

This problem has been around for a long time. It is reported in all the forums. I personally have open incidents to which they no longer respond. Not even the support is what it was years ago.

I wait for each new update as if my life depended on it, and there are a few, but nothing.

I don't understand why Apple doesn't provide a solution to this after so much time and so many complaints.

The issue of HomeKit and the Home App would have to be dealt with separately. The Home App eats up batteries without using it. I have had to remove the entire family and only I use it.

He also responds when he, or she, wants. You always have tons of devices (all of them ZigBee) across three hubs, all of which are unresponsive. With Alexa if they respond.....

I had to remove all the Eve devices, which I also had. With thread they disappeared and appeared when they wanted. With HomeKit they worked more or less well, from the update to thread, a disaster.

After about 20 years, I'm starting to go from love to hate with Apple stuff.

They were a little expensive devices, but very good, the first ones I bought still work. Now they are very closed devices, very expensive, and their operation is not the same.

I still have a Power Mac G4, upgraded with as much RAM as possible and an SSD via an adapter, running Office perfectly!!!!!

Now, what I buy, logically removing iPhones and iPads, in addition to being very very expensive, I know that it will only have a couple of years of life without any possible update.

Apologies for all this, but I have had these problems for more than a year and several open incidents without any response.

Thanks

Mar 3, 2024 2:13 PM in response to elusiv

So this is weird, but works. If I open the home app on my mac and go into the settings for the ihome mini and just leave it open, it does not disconnect. The minute I close out the setting for the speaker, it starts losing connection again. Not a very good fix, but at this point I will take it. Please either do an update or make a better speaker.

Jan 10, 2024 2:35 AM in response to bgmeek

I tried @bgmeek's suggestion around a months ago, and it definitely helped, but it didn't 100% cure the problem:

I have 6x HomePod Minis around the house and 2x HomePods (version 2) in stereo, and had one incident were the HomePods (not the minis) disconnected (one by one with seconds between). They were "connected" to my Apple TV at the time, so I used my remote to enter the Control Center and click on the HomePods pair, and attempt to untick the speaker. It then unticks for a few seconds, and then automatically ticks them back on.

They have worked since.

Mar 18, 2024 2:58 PM in response to elusiv

This has been going on for a number of years, at least since the Minis could be stereo paired anyway. I got mine just as that was being introduced.

In my case I regularly had one speaker (the RH one) disconnect from the stereo pair after a short time of playing anything on the TV (not music though, it only affected movies etc.). It would cut in and out during the time it was playing.

I have seen, and contributed to a few threads on the matter over that time, which I can't find now.

However, there have been many suggestions to fix it, or at least 'workaround' the issue.

I was never convinced by the Private WiFi Address address trick. I thought it would work for a while, then the same issue would eventually crop up again. That's a device specific setting anyway, it's not even available on a desktop device.

I also tried many other tricks, restarts, resets, reinstalls and so on. Until I got to a fully manual IP address setup, and private stuff disabled, and still the issue kept cropping up. I tried all the known suggestions I could find.

Eventually It would remain stable for a while, after a few sets and restarts could be a few weeks if I was lucky. But it was never clear what actually sorted it at any time.

Then iOS 17 came about, and after that I have everything reset back to defaults, my DHCP server is auto, Private WiFi Address is enabled on my iPhone and iPad. Although I do use CloudFlare (1.1.1.1) for my DNS settings.

Since its release last year I haven't (yet!) had a single drop out.

That would suggest to me that we have just been fighting a bug all this time, and it might be that Apple have finally fixed it. It's certainly not unknown for possible bugs to suddenly disappear after an update (it used to happen a lot after supposed 'security' updates).

Anyway, that's just in my own experience here. Perhaps try just resetting everything back to default, and start afresh there. YMMV applies as always :-).

Cheers.

HomePod Mini keeps disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.