Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to record using FaceTime HD Camera in iMovie for Mac

I'm trying to record a video using the built-in camera on my MacBook Air, but when I do, I receive an error message. In iMovie, I click on the arrow pointing down where it says "Import Media", I select "FaceTime HD Camera", I select the event I want to import to, and then I hit the record button.

It says "Recording..." for a few seconds and the green light appears indicating my camera is on. After a few seconds it automatically stops and gives me the following error message: "Import was aborted due to the lack of incoming data from device. Check your connections and that the deck is playing."

I checked my system preferences and I do see that I have allowed iMovie to access both my camera and my microphone, so I'm not sure why it won't let me record anything. I'm not trying to import anything else, just film using the built-in camera. Anyone know what could be causing this or how to fix it? I have old videos from years ago, so apparently I was able to get it to work in the past, but that was using a different device.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 6:34 PM

Hi,

Make sure that you have sufficient space on your internal drive to receive the movie.

Shut down and restart your Mac.

Try using the built in camera to record with Photo Booth instead of FaceTime.

Try recording a New Movie using the QuickTimePlayer app and selecting the FaceTime camera from the drop down menu accessed with the little triangle net to the red record button.

If you are using Catalina or later, possibly your Screen Time limit for iMovie is set too small. Look in System Preferences/Screen Time.

If you are using an Intel chip Mac, not an M1 Mac, you can try resetting the System Management Controller.

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2023 6:34 PM in response to e.nicholson

Hi,

Make sure that you have sufficient space on your internal drive to receive the movie.

Shut down and restart your Mac.

Try using the built in camera to record with Photo Booth instead of FaceTime.

Try recording a New Movie using the QuickTimePlayer app and selecting the FaceTime camera from the drop down menu accessed with the little triangle net to the red record button.

If you are using Catalina or later, possibly your Screen Time limit for iMovie is set too small. Look in System Preferences/Screen Time.

If you are using an Intel chip Mac, not an M1 Mac, you can try resetting the System Management Controller.

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

-- Rich

Unable to record using FaceTime HD Camera in iMovie for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.