Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is /Users/username/Applications folder?

Hi,

I'm trying to classify my apps and doing this I discovers that I have an /Users/username/Applications folder.

I have't really noticed this before even I'm using Mac for years.

I didn't find anything in Apple website talking about that and telling how it's work.

I have some apps in this folder and I don't remember having made a specific choice but maybe I had did this not beeing fully aware of it, looking forward to have the soft installed.

So can I swap the apps from this user Applications folder to the main Applications folder without consequences?

Best regards.

PS. I'm on MacOS Ventura and I'm the only one using my computer.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 10:09 AM

123bebop wrote:

So can I swap the apps from this user Applications folder to the main Applications folder without consequences?

Maybe.

There are two things you have to worry about.

1) Duplicates.

You should probable be running the latest version of all apps. Before overwriting an app in /Applications, make sure you are overwriting it with the latest version. That is, unless you want the older version.

2) Messy installs. It isn't just the Applications folder that is duplicated. There is also a user-specific version of the Library/Application Support and Library/Preferences folders. If any of these apps have data stored in those locations, then you will likely have problems. Nothing in these folders is documented. Nor is there any guarantee that you will be able to identify the files that are/might be associated with a given app. This can be a real mess.

Then the easy answer is to just leave it alone. It won't hurt anything.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2023 10:09 AM in response to 123bebop

123bebop wrote:

Maybe.

There are two things you have to worry about.

1) Duplicates.

You should probable be running the latest version of all apps. Before overwriting an app in /Applications, make sure you are overwriting it with the latest version. That is, unless you want the older version.

2) Messy installs. It isn't just the Applications folder that is duplicated. There is also a user-specific version of the Library/Application Support and Library/Preferences folders. If any of these apps have data stored in those locations, then you will likely have problems. Nothing in these folders is documented. Nor is there any guarantee that you will be able to identify the files that are/might be associated with a given app. This can be a real mess.

Then the easy answer is to just leave it alone. It won't hurt anything.

Mar 1, 2023 3:52 PM in response to FoxFifth

I don't want to.

Is there any way to make these apps working for everyone?

The link have this title "How to make macOS apps available to a single user instead of all users".

I'm searching for "How to make macOS apps available to all users instead of a single user".

As said I don't remember having choose specifics location. Usualy I just let the computer choose himself where he want to install in order to have no problems after.

Mar 2, 2023 9:56 AM in response to 123bebop

I think that the Applications folder is where Apple's OS and apps are installed. The Apple OS is write protected and cannot be modified which provides protection against virus infections. The user's Applications folder that you are referring to is likely where your installed apps are placed and it can be added to or have apps deleted or updated. I hope this helps. I wouldn't worry about.

Mar 2, 2023 10:10 AM in response to Ronasara

Ok. I think I'm going to let things like that. I know that's not a good idea to force de computer to act another way he want.

It's strange that I can't find any information in Apple website. A clear (and official) explanation should be nice.

I don't know why these apps want to be there but, whatever, I don't care anymore.

I use a personal folder where I put alias that I can order the way I want and, finaly, it's not a big deal. I was just a little curious.

Thank you everyone for helping me :)

Mar 2, 2023 12:32 PM in response to 123bebop

123bebop wrote:

It's strange that I can't find any information in Apple website. A clear (and official) explanation should be nice.

I don't know why these apps want to be there but, whatever, I don't care anymore.

Primarily it is a legacy part of the old NeXT system that Apple inherited for MacOS X 20+ years ago.

Years ago, installers would give you the option of installing software for "everyone" or "just for me". Most likely, you choose the obvious answer and migrated all those apps over the years. Or you had some old app that is still using an old-style installer.

Going forward, Apple is pushing all developers towards an iOS-style design where you won't see this kind of ancient seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time thing. It's better to just get rid of such things instead of documenting them.

What is /Users/username/Applications folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.