Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail includes my drafts in the Unread Messages Count

I have three emails running through Apple Mail, which--according to Apple--it should be able to handle easily. However, one of the accounts is now including my drafts in the unread email count, which makes the count useless.

I can live with this, but it does slow me down, andApple's Help instructions have been useless. I've followed them exactly, and they made no difference. Anyone have a suggestion?

My General Settings show:

Dock unread count: Inbox Only

New message notifications: Inbox Only

Mailbox behaviors show: Drafts Mailbox: Drafts; Sent Mailbox: Sent; Junk Mailbox: Spam; Trash Mailbox: Trash.

I can't see any reason this should be happening.

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 1:24 PM

Hello RainyWeather,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. A good troubleshooting step that may help you in this case is to rebuild the mailboxes in the Mail app. Once you rebuild the mailboxes in the Mail app, check and see if the draft emails continue to appear as unread. Here are the steps on how to perform this method:

1. In the Mail app  on your Mac, select a mailbox in the sidebar.
2. Choose Mailbox > Rebuild.

These steps are outlined in this article and can help: Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Kind regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2023 1:24 PM in response to RainyWeather

Hello RainyWeather,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. A good troubleshooting step that may help you in this case is to rebuild the mailboxes in the Mail app. Once you rebuild the mailboxes in the Mail app, check and see if the draft emails continue to appear as unread. Here are the steps on how to perform this method:

1. In the Mail app  on your Mac, select a mailbox in the sidebar.
2. Choose Mailbox > Rebuild.

These steps are outlined in this article and can help: Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Kind regards.

Mar 26, 2023 6:52 AM in response to RainyWeather

Oh, oh. I shut down my computer each night. When I booted up this morning, all my drafts were again included in the "new messages" count, making that feature (the count, which I've always relied on) useless. I appreciate your trying to help, Bryan. This is actually very typical of my Apple experience over the last five years or so. At least 50% of the time, Apple (both AppleCare and the GeniusStore) are unable to permanently fix Apple problems. I do appreciate the suggestion, but unfortunately it is not a lasting solution.

Apple Mail includes my drafts in the Unread Messages Count

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.