Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Can’t watch videos on safari. Sandbox not allowed

Whenever I try to watch certain videos on safari or chrome(on my iPhone) I get an error message that says “blocked, sandbox not allowed”. Is anyone aware of how to fix this? I’ve already tried opening multiple browsers and get the same thing across the board. I have unrestricted content in my settings. Not sure what’s causing the issue. I have a iPhone 14 pro max. Screenshot attached

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 8:35 AM

Here are 2 places to check. Go to the website, then Safari > Settings > Websites.

The first one is Content Blockers. You site should be listed in the "Currently Open Websites" and switch it to off.

The second one is Pop-Up Windows. Allow pop-up on the site.

I don't know what site this one is, but it wants information or permission to do something that the system will not allow by default.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2023 8:35 AM in response to P3TTYWAP

Here are 2 places to check. Go to the website, then Safari > Settings > Websites.

The first one is Content Blockers. You site should be listed in the "Currently Open Websites" and switch it to off.

The second one is Pop-Up Windows. Allow pop-up on the site.

I don't know what site this one is, but it wants information or permission to do something that the system will not allow by default.

Mar 26, 2023 7:52 AM in response to P3TTYWAP

Sandboxing is standard for all modern browsers. This prevents malicious sites from installing software and getting your personal information. I wonder which browsers would be able to view its content. We know Safari and Chrome won't. I would ask the website why you are getting this error. It's on them to solve the problem by not refusing access to sandboxed browsers.

For a specific recommendation on the website, we would need its name.

With that said there are things you can try in Safari Developer mode. This allows you to change a lot of its low level settings. This mode is not set by default, because it is not intended to be used by most users. Changing some of these settings could remove security features designed to protect you. With all those warning, to access the Develop Menu, go to Safari > Settings > Advanced > Show Develop Menu in Menu Bar.

Apr 19, 2023 6:40 AM in response to Mac Jim ID

This issue is unique to 16.4. And still hasn’t been resolved. I have no problems on my GF’s Galaxy Tab S8+.

Apple forces all browsers on iOS devices to use the same browser engine, WebKit, which is poorly optimised when compared to Chromium and Quantum (Firefox), with no alternatives.

I seriously hope this is addressed in iOS 17 through EU legislation forcing side loading and browser choice.

Can’t watch videos on safari. Sandbox not allowed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.