You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My legacy contact does not have iPhone … will he still be able to access my information?

My legacy contact does not have iPhone . Can he still access my iPhone?

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 8:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 12:07 AM

Hi AnnS1941,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: My legacy contact does not have iPhone

… will he still be able to access my information?

Am no expert in this area, yet your questions surely deserve a response, Fortunately, Apple support's articles have lots of info. about a Legacy contact.

In Apple Support's article:

How to add a Legacy Contact for your Apple ID – Apple Support

says:

"They don't even need an Apple ID or an Apple device"

Eg:

If you scroll to: "Share the access key with your Legacy Contact"

says:

"If you add someone who doesn't have an Apple device or can't access Legacy Contact settings on their device, you'll need to give them a physical copy of the access key. You can print a copy of the access key and give it to them, send them a PDF or screenshot of the page, or save a copy with your estate planning documents.

Note: If you use Send a Message to share the access key, it's a good idea to confirm that your Legacy Contact received it. However you share the access key, you may also want to print and save a copy of their access key with your estate planning documents".

Re: Can he still access my iPhone?

Seems the access is to the data in your Apple account.

Learn more about the data your Legacy Contact may be able to access

More info. on the Legacy Contact's access:

Request access to an Apple account as a Legacy Contact – Apple Support

All the best :-)

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 26, 2023 12:07 AM in response to AnnS1941

Hi AnnS1941,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: My legacy contact does not have iPhone

… will he still be able to access my information?

Am no expert in this area, yet your questions surely deserve a response, Fortunately, Apple support's articles have lots of info. about a Legacy contact.

In Apple Support's article:

How to add a Legacy Contact for your Apple ID – Apple Support

says:

"They don't even need an Apple ID or an Apple device"

Eg:

If you scroll to: "Share the access key with your Legacy Contact"

says:

"If you add someone who doesn't have an Apple device or can't access Legacy Contact settings on their device, you'll need to give them a physical copy of the access key. You can print a copy of the access key and give it to them, send them a PDF or screenshot of the page, or save a copy with your estate planning documents.

Note: If you use Send a Message to share the access key, it's a good idea to confirm that your Legacy Contact received it. However you share the access key, you may also want to print and save a copy of their access key with your estate planning documents".

Re: Can he still access my iPhone?

Seems the access is to the data in your Apple account.

Learn more about the data your Legacy Contact may be able to access

More info. on the Legacy Contact's access:

Request access to an Apple account as a Legacy Contact – Apple Support

All the best :-)

My legacy contact does not have iPhone … will he still be able to access my information?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.