5G Standalone is Missing After Updating to iOS 16.4

5G Standalone vanished after updating to iOS 16.4. Before it was there till 16.3.1

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 12:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 1:29 AM

As far as my understanding goes 5G (SA) and 5G (NSA) is a technology provided by Cellular Operators in India based on the infrastructure they have or used.

I am unable to understand how mobile users can choose between the two different technology infrastructures.

Please understand this...

5G (Fifth Generation) mobile technology has two deployment options: Stand Alone (SA) and Non-Stand Alone (NSA).

1. Non-Stand Alone (NSA) 5G: NSA 5G technology uses the existing 4G LTE network infrastructure as an anchor to establish a connection between the user equipment (UE) and the 5G radio access network (RAN). In NSA mode, the 5G network relies on the 4G core network to provide services to the end user. NSA technology is a transitional mode of deployment and allows for faster implementation of 5G networks by building upon existing 4G infrastructure.
  2. Stand Alone (SA) 5G: SA 5G technology is a completely independent network that does not rely on the 4G network for connection establishment between the UE and the 5G RAN. In SA mode, the 5G network has its own core network and provides end-to-end services, including control plane and user plane functions. SA 5G technology is designed to fully realize the benefits of 5G, including high-speed data transfer, low latency, and massive machine-type communication.

Overall, SA 5G is considered to be the more advanced and desirable deployment option for 5G networks, while NSA 5G allows for a more gradual transition to the new technology.

144 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2023 1:29 AM in response to sayan1996

As far as my understanding goes 5G (SA) and 5G (NSA) is a technology provided by Cellular Operators in India based on the infrastructure they have or used.

I am unable to understand how mobile users can choose between the two different technology infrastructures.

Please understand this...

5G (Fifth Generation) mobile technology has two deployment options: Stand Alone (SA) and Non-Stand Alone (NSA).

1. Non-Stand Alone (NSA) 5G: NSA 5G technology uses the existing 4G LTE network infrastructure as an anchor to establish a connection between the user equipment (UE) and the 5G radio access network (RAN). In NSA mode, the 5G network relies on the 4G core network to provide services to the end user. NSA technology is a transitional mode of deployment and allows for faster implementation of 5G networks by building upon existing 4G infrastructure.
  2. Stand Alone (SA) 5G: SA 5G technology is a completely independent network that does not rely on the 4G network for connection establishment between the UE and the 5G RAN. In SA mode, the 5G network has its own core network and provides end-to-end services, including control plane and user plane functions. SA 5G technology is designed to fully realize the benefits of 5G, including high-speed data transfer, low latency, and massive machine-type communication.

Overall, SA 5G is considered to be the more advanced and desirable deployment option for 5G networks, while NSA 5G allows for a more gradual transition to the new technology.

Mar 30, 2023 3:17 AM in response to sayan1996

Okay, there is one way to test for JIO users or any users in particular if you are on SA or not.

1. Dial *3001#12345#* and hit call.
  2. You’ll enter field test mode. Under 5g>NrConnectionStats
  3. Check “connection_type” and see if you have “SA” against it, that would mean you are on standalone network when you see 5G on your network strength.

Only drawback is that now you cant force the iphone to look for SA with iOS 16.4 as they removed the toggle for many carriers.

Attaching a screenshot for reference

Apr 8, 2023 6:04 AM in response to sayan1996

Yes, i found that Jio is now deploying 5G SA by default. There is no need of any toggle switch. iOS has removed it and there was no news for it so it created confusion for so many people who didnt not check the field test mode. Turn on 5G mobile data and check the field test mode (*3001#12345#*), then check connection type its showing 5G SA. Before it was not showing just after the update. Now i check again its showing. I think you should restart tour device once after the update or reset the network settings.

Mar 30, 2023 12:01 AM in response to sayan1996

So the problem actually is with the providers and not the iOS update. Providers need to enable SA on iOS 16.4 for the users to be able to use it. Providers like JIO would need to verify their SA on iOS 16.4 for us to be able to get that option. I think in US only T-Mobile has verified SA. AT&T and Verizon also do not currently support SA as far as I know.

We also need to remember that 16.3 was release quite a while back so providers had ample time to get verifed on SA. I am not sure if 16.4 brought a new modem firmware or not but if it did that could also be one of the reaons why new modem firmware currently does not not have the Provider’s SA verified.

Just a thought.

Mar 30, 2023 8:37 AM in response to sayan1996

The cellular network settings are provided by the carrier by uploading a Carrier Settings file; it has nothing to do with Apple. You can check that you have the latest carrier settings by going to Settings/General/About and waiting for a few seconds; if there is an update available you will be prompted to install it. And if you don’t see a switch for 5G SA (I do see it in 16.4, my carrier is T-Mobile USA) it could be that it is always on. I think you can check with field test mode. The long term goal is to make all 5G networks standalone, which would make the switch unnecessary.

Mar 30, 2023 7:13 PM in response to sayan1996

I don’t have toggles on my iPhone 12 mini or 14 pro max on t mobile contract magenta max plan in a major city… obviously update didn’t go well for most t mobile users and destroyed connectivity for a lot in India on the jio network. Tired of apple needing 20 updates to make a basic feature work either wait till it’s ready or don’t release. Half of what was released at wwdc for the iPhone has taken almost to the next one to get all features out. Don’t forget first apple update was for iPhone 14 that could make calls or use data… mhmm

Mar 31, 2023 10:18 AM in response to Sree001

I have also noticed that the standalone toggle is missing after updating to iOS 16.4 but I am able to use Jio 5G without any problem. I think as Jio only uses standalone technology, therefore there is no use of giving a standalone toggle button. For example, we have seen this kind of thing earlier as you may have noticed that there is it VOLTE toggle button available for Airtel users, but VOLTE button is not available for Jio customers users Jio only uses VOLTE to make calls.

5G Standalone is Missing After Updating to iOS 16.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.