Issue opening files from Google Drive Finder window after installing macOS Ventura 13.3 update

I just downloaded and installed the macOS Ventura 13.3 update on my Mac Pro and after doing so, I can no longer open files that are stored in my Google Drive. Google Drive is downloaded to my Mac where I can open the folders/files from the Finder Window but when I click to open a PDF or Word doc (where the file is showing in the Finder window but is stored on Google Drive), the app itself opens (Adobe or Word) but not the document/file I clicked on to open. Before installing the update earlier this morning, I was able to open files with no issues. I tested it out and copied the files from the Google Drive finder window onto the desktop and then when trying to double-click to open those files, they opened with no issues...so I'm assuming it has something to do with Google Drive??

Mac Pro (2019)

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 1:06 PM

Just to let you know that I'm having the exact same issue.

It's pain in the butt since it makes installing Google Drive Desktop pointless. Plus it doesn't affect all my files or folders, some of them still open like before.

Haven't changed a thing on the Drive or on my Mac (macbook air m1) apart from 13.3 last night.

I guess it would be best to report that to Google but I haven't found where or how to file a bug report.

Similar questions

73 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2023 1:06 PM in response to theratpack10

Just to let you know that I'm having the exact same issue.

It's pain in the butt since it makes installing Google Drive Desktop pointless. Plus it doesn't affect all my files or folders, some of them still open like before.

Haven't changed a thing on the Drive or on my Mac (macbook air m1) apart from 13.3 last night.

I guess it would be best to report that to Google but I haven't found where or how to file a bug report.

Mar 31, 2023 1:36 AM in response to theratpack10

We are experiencing very similar / same issue, it seems it is happening on files (most probably not only) with UTF-8 encoded diacritics. Example in Czech language: řžýá.docx will result in files not opening, rzya.docx will open fine. Affecting not only Google Drive app but also download - note below, depending on browser.

Reproduction steps for Google Drive:

1) Create a document in Google Drive (web)

2) Name it with diacritics

3) Download it as DOCX

4) Try to open the document - Word will launch but will fail to open the file without any error.

5) After the document is renamed (anyhow), open will work just fine.

At the moment, we think this is not a specific Google Drive issue (the same happening at other similar apps we tested, including one we developed).

Also, it's interesting that Safari is not affected (or so it seems). It looks like Safari is doing something that is converting UTF-8 encoded characters to latin1 on download.

Apr 11, 2023 12:57 PM in response to Cannoneer8

I received mail notification related to this current post with the following message :

" Good news: Fixed in macOS Ventura 13.4 Beta 2 Release Notes | Apple Developer Documentation "

I don't know why, but I'm not able to find this accurate post just here above ! :(

This message just to share, there's maybe a solution coming with Ventura 13.4 (but reading the release note I found nothing in relation with Google Drive)

Anyone have more information or opinion ?

Apr 24, 2023 8:22 PM in response to elouch27

I managed to fix it by renaming the root Google Drive folder:

• In the Finder, go to Google Drive > My Drive
  • Right clic > Show original
  • Select the root GDrive folder > clic Enter twice to change the name of the folder (it showed as a white page, not a folder, this reverted it to the normal state)

Everything worked after that.

It's works for me. Thank you!

Mar 30, 2023 2:54 AM in response to theratpack10

The same with me. With Preview, Excel, … other apps. All after 13.3 update. Can’t open files directly (from Finder, ForkLift, even Terminal). The only way to open it is directly from the app’s menu (File > Open… > ….)

When I copy the file to Desktop, it opens OK. Sometimes renaming the file helps (not always though). I worked with all these files just fine only yesterday before the update.

I tried restarting… Even gave the app Full Disk Access… No change.

Mar 30, 2023 7:27 AM in response to theratpack10

Since updating to Ventura 13.3, I have the exact same problem but with files in iCloud. So it looks like it's an issue with Ventura 13.3, not with Google Drive. If I move the files to a local folder, then they open with no issues. If I move them back in my Document iCloud folder, then the problem reappears: double-clicking on the file (e.g., pdf, docx, etc.) opens the relevant app, but not the document itself. Never had this issue before updating to 13.3. Desktop and Documents iCloud folders are configured to sync with local drive. I tried disabling the syncing and then enabling it again, but it did not solve the issue.

Apr 4, 2023 11:08 AM in response to theratpack10

I have the same issue too...

What do you have in your Google Drive setting regarding the files location ?

(sorry my system is in french)

I have a message, not sure if this is a warning telling that the files location is managed by MacOS.

If I follow the link, it speaks about using or not "File Provider" (not sure of the english link, may be here)

I don't have that message on my MBP (where I have no issue)

I'm not good enough to guess if this is a path to follow or not, you will tell me.

-

For now, I really feel like there's an underground permission story behind our issue.

Apr 7, 2023 4:02 AM in response to theratpack10

I'm experiencing the same issue, it's caused by the Ventura 13.3 update. It's NFC / NFD Unicode UTF-8-MAC issue. I'm Czech and many of our letters cause this issue (ž,š,č,ů..). Renaming the file on Mac (without even changing the human-readable name) resolve in fixing the issue for the specific file. Then it can be opened without a problem.

Issue opening files from Google Drive Finder window after installing macOS Ventura 13.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.