Raw decode on DJI drone DNG files broken by macOS Ventura 13.3

The latest update to macOS Ventura 13.3 has broken support for RAW decode of DJI drone DNG format. Finder browsing, Apple and some third-party photo apps all display multi-coloured stripes across the displayed raw image. The embedded preview in the DNG displays properly, as do the JPG files generated with the DNG files by DJI during flight.

There were no problems with raw support for DJI DNG format files when using Ventura 13.2. Third-party photo apps running under macOS Ventura 13.3 which use their own raw decode don't have problems reading DJI DNG format files. Both my DJI Mavic 3 Classic and Mini 3 Pro have up-to-date firmware, but DNG files from both exhibit this problem

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 9:11 PM

Similar questions

97 replies

May 9, 2023 3:23 PM in response to Joe Cdn

I have the same problem with the banding. Most of the images are from my Mavic 3 Enterprise. I even went back on one of my drives and older images are getting the banding and two of my hard drives can't even be read. I also have macOs 13.3.1 on my MacBook Pro. If I bring the images into Lightroom and work on them, the banding goes away. This is very annoying.

May 17, 2023 7:21 AM in response to Joe Cdn

Since this issues doesn't seem to have been resolved til now, here's something y'all can do in the meantime if your application relies on the macOS's broken handling of this type of RAW files.

You can use the Adobe Digital Native Converter to convert your .dng files to an older format that doesn't seem to cause these issues. Just open the folder your .dng-Files are situated in and click on "Change Preferences".

The issue doesn't seem to happen if you select any compatibility option >= Camera RAW 4.6. Everything above will cause you issues. After that just convert the images and you'll be able to use it.

It comes at the caveat of a significantly increased file size - but that's all we have til Apple fixes this. I take this over not being able to handle RAW files in Pixelmator or any other apps that use Apple's RAW engine.

Apr 2, 2023 4:23 AM in response to RoBuszek

Just to let you know, I have this same issue with DJI Air 2S. Which I only recently acquired. I have some slightly less banding in old Mini 2 DNG files. Am pleased to report that Adobe LRC shows them OK.

I thought, at first, it was a DJI problem with my refurbished (from DJI) Air 2S.

P.S. Nikon RAW are still OK.

Apr 23, 2023 3:54 AM in response to Joe Cdn

What I have found, for what it's worth, is if you import the drone's DNG into LRC (in my case) and then immediately just export as original, it cleans up just fine. If there is any silver lining, it's I usually do run my photos thru LRC first. And right now I am doing raw+jpeg in my drone. So I have one to share and see how well it was taken.

But because there might be a work around, for some of us, doesn't mean Apple should not fix something that is obviously broken.

May 5, 2023 5:54 AM in response to Old_Dirt_Forester

OK. Here's the deal.

I imported a DJI DNG file into Adobe Lightroom Classic. Then immediately exported it as a DNG file. Preview shows it just fine now. BUT FCPX is still trashed on the newly saved file. DNGs, if you didn't save a JPG with your DNGs, can still be converted to a usable (possibly) format, but this really is a PIT(A)pple product.

Raw decode on DJI drone DNG files broken by macOS Ventura 13.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.