You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari history no longer visible in menu bar dropdown

Safari on Mac used to have a handy selectable list of recent sites visited just by clicking on History in the menu bar. This is no longer there. The only way to view history is to select "Show All History" or press Command-Y. While these are useful, they are not as handy for immediate use as the former dropdown right from the menu bar.

Is this a bug, a feature deliberately removed, or a setting of mine that's accidentally gotten changed? Not sure, but I wish I had it back. (I'm running Ventura 13.3.1.)

Mac mini

Posted on Apr 9, 2023 8:03 AM

3 replies

Apr 9, 2023 11:42 AM in response to Mac Jim ID

Hi, I went to check the setting there, and it was already on "Manually", which is what I assume it should be. But then when I went back to check the menubar, guess what? It's automagically working again! Odd.

Do you think just the mere opening of that Settings panel could have reset something? Anyway, thanks! :D

Edit: I did click on the "Manually" to look at the options, and then left it in the same place. Perhaps just clicking it somehow reset things.

Apr 9, 2023 6:22 PM in response to Donnie Ashworth

Glad you got it working. It would not surprise me that by clicking on the Setting, it started working. Its amazing to see on these forums how the simple act of switching a setting off and on will reset a preference that gets stuck in an unknown state.

Not really sure on what the default settings is for this, my Remove History Items is set at 1 year, and not sure if it was something I changed in the past which could possibly of come from previous OS versions.

Safari history no longer visible in menu bar dropdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.