Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Mic is very quiet on iPad with USB C

Any iPad with a USB C receives audio extra quiet. We have replicated this behavior with Rode, and Comica mics. We have tried many different adapters, and boosters, and all types of iPads. Each time the audio is coming in 4-5X quieter than the onboard mics. We have tried this with the camera app, garage band, and voice memo. All apps show the audio coming in quiet.

This appears to be a software issue. We have an apple developer account, and when we downgrade the IOS to IOS 14 the issue is no longer present. Anything with IOS 15 and above has this issue.

This thread is the same behavior we are experiencing.

On iPad Pro 12.9 (2021) the audio recorde… - Apple Community

iPad Air (5th generation)

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 4:39 PM

Hi mswt,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Thank you for posting your findings in the community.

If you want to see changes, you might want to send feedback to reach those who work behind-the-scenes at Apple. They will likely not reply, yet your feedback will reach those who could make changes.

If others are also also experiencing similar issues, the more feedback Apple receives, the more data they will have on the extent of the issue, and thus the more likely it is we will see issues addressed in an update.

Webform for feedback to Apple:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

All the Best :-)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2023 4:39 PM in response to mswt

Hi mswt,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Thank you for posting your findings in the community.

If you want to see changes, you might want to send feedback to reach those who work behind-the-scenes at Apple. They will likely not reply, yet your feedback will reach those who could make changes.

If others are also also experiencing similar issues, the more feedback Apple receives, the more data they will have on the extent of the issue, and thus the more likely it is we will see issues addressed in an update.

Webform for feedback to Apple:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

All the Best :-)

Dec 12, 2023 5:34 PM in response to mswt

I just discovered this problem when my team couldn’t hear me well enough in a MS Teams, the mic on the iPad itself is suddenly quiet too.

This was touted as a pro-level mic when I first bought it, and it was after my testing. An update must have negatively impacted performance, I remember how good it was before.

I tried on my Mac, iPhone, PC, and galaxy phone (the loudest btw). The volume levels are slightly different, but the iPad is atrocious.

I am using a Conexant CX Pro 31993 dongle. I am open to purchasing a different one instead of waiting for a fix, if anyone suggests on.

External Mic is very quiet on iPad with USB C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.