Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone and Apple Watch Notifications

So when I wear my Apple Watch, I don't get notifications on my phone, unless I turn off notifications on my watch. So I have to give up one or the other. I've been trying to figure out why I don't wear my Apple Watch very often and this pretty much sums up the reason. I need notifications on both or it simply is a show stopper.

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 3:40 PM

You can't have them on both.

Apart from actual phone calls which ring on both by default, the Sounds and haptic notifications and banners for messages etc follow these rules…

If the phone is in use (open) then you get tangible notifications on the phone only. Messages and Mail still appear silently on the Watch in the relevant app without banner..

If the phone is locked you get tangible notifications on the Watch only. If you have notifications set for iPhone Lock Screen or Notification center they still go to the phone, but silently without banner. 

If you go into each notification type and use Custom and disallow notifications the alerts and banners go to the phone always and not to the Watch (only for eligible apps) 

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2023 3:40 PM in response to lynch6460

You can't have them on both.

Apart from actual phone calls which ring on both by default, the Sounds and haptic notifications and banners for messages etc follow these rules…

If the phone is in use (open) then you get tangible notifications on the phone only. Messages and Mail still appear silently on the Watch in the relevant app without banner..

If the phone is locked you get tangible notifications on the Watch only. If you have notifications set for iPhone Lock Screen or Notification center they still go to the phone, but silently without banner. 

If you go into each notification type and use Custom and disallow notifications the alerts and banners go to the phone always and not to the Watch (only for eligible apps) 

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

iPhone and Apple Watch Notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.