Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

USB camera is really slow to start up in Google Meet on Chromium browsers on my M1 Macbook Air

Things were working great on my M1 Macbook Air until recently, when suddenly my USB camera (a Panasonic digital camera connected via HDMI - USB capture card) started acting weird, and now it takes forever (maybe a few minutes) to start in Google Meet on chromium browsers, e.g., Chrome, Brave, etc. Just Google Meet. Just on Chrome and Brave.

When I start a Google Meet meeting, the audio starts up ok, but the camera image is black for a few seconds, and then it captures a single frame which remains frozen on the screen. After a few minutes - maybe 2 or 3 - the camera eventually starts working. This weirdness happens each time I start a Meet, even if it's just a few seconds between ending one and starting another Meet.

When I go to the Video tab in Google Meet settings, while the camera is frozen it says "Camera is starting". My built-in webcam works fine, as does a USB Logitech webcam.

I know the natural conclusion would be that there's something wrong with the camera, but this issue only happens in Chrome and Brave. I don't experience this problem anywhere else as far as I can tell. Google Meet in Firefox, Opera, Safari works as expected – the video starts up immediately as soon as I start a Meet. Zoom and Photo Booth work fine as well so it's not like the camera isn't talking to the computer.

When I watch the Activity Monitor while this strange behavior is happening, there's a process called VTDecoderXPCService which shoots up in CPU use over the course of those few minutes. Once the camera starts working correctly, it immediately drops back down to a reasonable level. The User is listed as _cmiodalassistants (262). I have to conclude that it's directly related to the problem. Force quitting the process doesn't fix the issue either.

I uninstalled Chrome and followed the instructions on chromeisbad.com to remove all traces, and then reinstalled. No dice.

The one change I made to my system recently was to install CleanMyMac, which I soon uninstalled after realizing it wasn't helpful. That might have been a mistake, but it's weird to think it would cause this issue. The only thing I can find on the internet that might be connected to this issue is that some people on Final Cut Pro forums say that CleanMyMac can completely corrupt your system and a wipe and reset on MacOS is necessary. I'd really rather not do that unless it's necessary.

Any help or insight would be incredibly appreciated!

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 5:36 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 19, 2023 4:02 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yeah, it's both Chrome and Brave, and the problem started at the same time. The weird thing is that it had been fine for years until this week. It's possible Google did something that messed it up.

Both the built-in Air webcam and a low-quality Logitech USB webcam work fine. It's just the one camera, and it's just Google Meet, and it's just Chrome and Brave. Baffling.

Apr 19, 2023 4:13 AM in response to synapse5000

I can only guess that something these applications do is messing up with what the software for the HDMI capture card needs. Perhaps a race condition in an access to some system resource. Given how the google keystone can stop Final Cut Pro in its tracks, they surely may be able to affect the capture card.

You may perhaps reach out to support from the provider of the card (Elgato?), but if it works well with other applications they are likely to point their finger back at these software programs (and, as you can surmise from what I wrote, I think they'd probably be right).

USB camera is really slow to start up in Google Meet on Chromium browsers on my M1 Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.