Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Apple Card still tied to old Apple ID

Hello,

I've got an ongoing issue that I hope I can find help with here. When I originally setup my iPhone and registered for an Apple Card, my Apple ID was "username@domain.com" (keeping the actual account information anonymous for this post, of course). Sometime between then and now, about a year, I wanted to break ties with that email address and move everything into Apple's ecosystem, so I changed my Apple ID to "username@icloud.com". I made that new iCloud address the primary and eventually removed the original entirely. I've had no problems signing in with the now primary @icloud.com address, can register new devices, send/receive email, etc. From my iPhone, if I go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay, I see the "username@icloud.com" address under Transaction Defaults. It all seems like everything is in order.

However, the original Apple ID email address, "username@domain.com", is stuck associated with my Apple Card. Any notifications concerning the Apple Card (scheduled payments, statements, payments received) all go to the original @domain.com account email address. In fact, if I look at the new Apple Savings Account I just setup and go to Wallet > Savings Account > ... > Account Details > Account Information > I see, "username@domain.com" "This email address is associated with your Apple ID." and under it, my mailing address.

I think I've spoken to about 6 different layers of support from Apple and Goldman Sachs, everyone being eager to help, but I cannot seem to find anyone that's able to assist with getting this issue corrected. If there's anyone here that can point me in the right direction, I would be greatly appreciate it.

iPhone 14

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2023 12:09 AM

So I’m in a tricky situation, my father signed up for the Apple Card years ago under my Apple ID on accident and has racked up money over years of use, and simply can’t close the card at all. I need this transferred and have called Apple Constantly with that same response, how can Apple have such an issue for this use case if we can provide proof of the actual users by requesting info? Should I contact Goldmansachs? So sick of having this on my device, I myself can’t even sign up for one because of this **** card on my phone.

Similar questions

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2023 12:09 AM in response to Phil0124

So I’m in a tricky situation, my father signed up for the Apple Card years ago under my Apple ID on accident and has racked up money over years of use, and simply can’t close the card at all. I need this transferred and have called Apple Constantly with that same response, how can Apple have such an issue for this use case if we can provide proof of the actual users by requesting info? Should I contact Goldmansachs? So sick of having this on my device, I myself can’t even sign up for one because of this **** card on my phone.

Apr 19, 2023 12:38 PM in response to Jeff Donald

No problem, I appreciate the help.

is the new email you want to use associated with another Apple ID/iCloud account.

No, it's not and was never associated with another Apple ID/iCloud account. It did not exist until I used the change Apple ID option quite some time ago to switch from what I was originally using (username@domain.com) to what I'm now using (username@icloud.com).

In other words, you only have one Apple ID?

Correct. I only have one Apple ID.

Apr 19, 2023 12:08 PM in response to Apple_Customer_

Apple Card is forever tied to the Apple ID where it was requested as is the new Savings account. It cannot be moved to another Apple ID.

Your best bet, is to simply close that Apple Card account and apply for a new one on the new Apple ID.

click here ➜ How to close your Apple Card account - Apple Support

Or better yet, keep using the old account, and simply update it to a new email address as suggested by Jeff above.

You should have updated the existing Apple ID to a new email address if you wanted to get rid of the original email address. Creating a completely new Apple ID should only be done as a last recourse. It requires a lot of work and the loss of all content, purchases and the Apple Card associated with the old Apple ID.

Apr 20, 2023 7:04 AM in response to Apple_Customer_

The confusion on this issue is the misunderstanding of the User Name and Password aspect of your Apple ID/iCloud account.

If you talk to Apple Card support at Goldman Sachs they’ll tell you it can’t be changed and from their perspective it can’t be changed. All this means in an overall sense is Apple Support at Goldman Sachs can’t change your Username. GS employees do not have access to changing your user name or password.

Apple Support and account owner can change username.

You do not want to create a second Apple ID/iCloud account.

You want to just change the Username to the email you want to use.

This Apple support article explains the steps required to change the email you use for your Apple ID/iCloud account.

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

It usually takes 48 to 72 hours before the Apple systems and Goldman Sachs servers/systems to update and sync.

Here’s how you confirm the change. Update your username/email change by calling Goldman Sachs Apple Card support in 3 or 4 days after you complete the process.

Call Goldman Sachs Bank: (877) 255-5923

Aug 17, 2023 5:51 AM in response to Apple_Customer_

The misunderstanding that people operate under is that the email is the account.

The email address is just the user name used for logging in to the account. The email address can be changed. Please see support article below. A better way to think of it is as an iCloud account and you have credentials to log into the account.

The issue is multiple iCloud accounts. Apple Card Mastercard accounts are locked/tied to the iCloud account used when the card was first applied for. But the email login for the account can be changed.

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

When you change the email address, you can use any email address not already associated with another Apple ID.

The tricky part may be getting back into that original account to change the email address. You can use the article below to learn how to gain access to an >old/unused< Apple ID account.

https://iforgot.apple.com/

https://www.imore.com/how-reset-apple-id

Once you have the email address you want to use and the account setup, it takes 3 to 5 days for everything to sync between Goldman Sachs and Apple systems/servers. So, be patient and you’ll be good to go with your Apple Card account.

Apr 20, 2023 10:16 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil,

Thanks for the reply. I wrote the following in my original post - "I wanted to break ties with that email address and move everything into Apple's ecosystem, so I changed my Apple ID to "username@icloud.com"." I'm not sure how I could have been more clear, I even referenced that I used the link that Jeff provided earlier, but I guess when we're discussing accounts and email addresses in the same post, I can see how that could happen.

I used the change feature to switch it from what it was (username@domain.com) to what it is now (username@icloud.com). It's the same iCloud account, just with a different email address. Is there a specific support line to contact for Goldman Sachs Apple Card support, or just their general support line for all customers?

"In any case, the email change assuming it's still the same Apple ID, should propagate eventually to the other services."

It's been nearly two years now, I'm not holding my breath for this change to sync up, which is why I posted here. :)

Here's where I see the old email address that was tied to my iCloud account (Wallet > Tap the Apple Mastercard > Savings Account > ... > Account Details > Account Information. It says, "This email address is associated with your Apple ID", but it's not, and has not been for quite some time now.

Apr 19, 2023 12:20 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil,

"Apple Card is forever tied to the Apple ID where it was requested. It cannot be moved to another Apple ID." I can change the email address associated with any other credit card I have, zero issues performing that task. It's astonishing to me that a company as massive and advanced as Apple has no way to correct what is clearly a bug on their end. I don’t see how that’s a best bet and would make the entire process vastly more complicated than simply being able to edit the email address tied to it.

"You should have updated the existing Apple ID to a new email address if you wanted to get rid of it." That's exactly what I did. I did not create a new Apple ID/account and then move everything to it, that would be foolish and, as you said, I would have lost all of my content and purchases. I used the change option on my account, exactly as the documentation described in the link Jeff provided earlier.

Thanks for the reply.

Apr 19, 2023 12:50 PM in response to Jeff Donald

you have one Apple ID or two or more?

I have one Apple ID.

This can be deliberate or accidental. But, do you know for sure?

I'm 100% sure. I even tried issuing a password reset at icloud.com using the original email address just to make sure I wasn't making a mistake and I receive the message, "This Apple ID is not valid or not supported". As far as Apple's systems are concerned, it does not exist. I'm very particular about security and consistency, so this issue has been making me a bit frustrated, to say the least. Ongoing for almost two years now.

Apr 20, 2023 7:49 AM in response to Apple_Customer_

Apple_Customer_ wrote:

Phil,

"Apple Card is forever tied to the Apple ID where it was requested. It cannot be moved to another Apple ID." I can change the email address associated with any other credit card I have, zero issues performing that task. It's astonishing to me that a company as massive and advanced as Apple has no way to correct what is clearly a bug on their end. I don’t see how that’s a best bet and would make the entire process vastly more complicated than simply being able to edit the email address tied to it.

If you changed the email address on the existing Apple ID, then you did not create a new Apple ID. Updating the email address does not in any way create a new Apple ID, so your Apple Card account and Savings account do not need to get moved to a different Apple ID. It's still the same Apple ID.

The change may take a while to propagate to other services, including the Apple Card. You may need to contact Goldman Sachs to update the email address they have own file for you.

"You should have updated the existing Apple ID to a new email address if you wanted to get rid of it." That's exactly what I did.

You sad you created a new iCloud account, and your question titled says "still tied to old Apple ID". Implying you created a new Apple ID all together.

An iCloud account is in an of itself an Apple ID and cannot be used as the email address for a different Apple ID. If you simply used the iCloud email address that was already associated with your Apple ID, then you did not create a new Apple ID. Your Apple Card is still tied to the same Apple ID.

This is why it's important to explain clearly what you did.

In any case, the email change assuming it's still the same Apple ID, should propagate eventually to the other services.

Apr 20, 2023 10:30 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Jeff,

I'm not sure how that's possible. The area I blocked out in yellow is what my Apple ID/email address was changed from (and what I don't want it set to for my Apple Mastercard/Savings Account). I even went to iCloud.com and tried to use the, "Forgot Apple ID or password?", option for that ID/account to be sure that I wasn't mistaken and I receive the following error: "This Apple ID is not valid or not supported." Appreciate the help, as always, but what am I missing here?

Aug 17, 2023 6:45 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Thanks, Jeff. Appreciate the support and links provided, but that's not the case for me here. There is only one Apple ID, so there's nothing for me to sign in with or recover. I've provided as much detail as possible earlier in the thread while remaining vague so that no personal information is exposed, of course. Essentially, all of the billing notifications for my Apple Card are going to the wrong email address and there's no way for me to change it. Closing my Apple Card account and creating a new one is not a good solution to what should be a simple fix.

Apple Card still tied to old Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.