Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Photo not exporting slideshow music

I created a slideshow in Photo from my library. I used the classic slides and classic music. I have 21 photos. The photos process and the music plays in the preview but not when I export the slideshow to my desktop. Instead it plays the stock music. I am using Apple Music, I did try alternate templates. How can I customize the music to my photos? Thank you.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 12:36 AM

I am using Apple Music, I did try alternate templates

You cannot export a slideshow with Apple Music, as Apple Music is protected and the license only support direct streaming, but not saving it as a part of a video. You can use Apple Music when playing your slideshow in Photos, but not save the slideshow video with an Apple Music soundtrack.

Use only songs from your Music Library, that do not have digital rights attached, for example songs you purchased from the iTunes Store.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2023 12:36 AM in response to gnomes101

I am using Apple Music, I did try alternate templates

You cannot export a slideshow with Apple Music, as Apple Music is protected and the license only support direct streaming, but not saving it as a part of a video. You can use Apple Music when playing your slideshow in Photos, but not save the slideshow video with an Apple Music soundtrack.

Use only songs from your Music Library, that do not have digital rights attached, for example songs you purchased from the iTunes Store.

Apr 19, 2023 11:02 PM in response to gnomes101

You need to delete the stock "Classic" music item under Selected Music. Then, when you export, the music that you selected will play. To delete the stock music move your cursor over the Classic music item to cause an X to appear to the right of the item. Click on the X to delete.

However, if you are using Apple Music, the subscription service, those songs cannot be used. They are DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected. Downloading them to iTunes will not remove the protection.

-- Rich

Photo not exporting slideshow music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.