Copy and paste from iPhone to MacOS not working

I'm on MacOS Monterey and iOS 16.4.1 (both up to date), where copy-and-paste from my iPhone to MacOS is not working. Steps to debug include restarting bluetooth on each device; try pasting into different apps, try selecting/copying the text from the iPhone again, repeat debugging steps. No luck.

Is there a bug in the new revision of iOS that is preventing this operation? How can we fix this?

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2023 5:42 AM

Hi all,

I have faced the same issue and I've just managed to fix it by myself.

Except for having on all devices Handoff option Enabled you will need to run a command in your mac Terminal app.

Here are the steps:

• Open the Terminal app on your Mac (Applications > Utilities)

• Now, we will first delete Clipboard sharing and then enable it again. Here is how:
defaults delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.coreservices.useractivityd.plist ClipboardSharingEnabled

• Now, copy and paste this code and hit Enter:
defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.coreservices.useractivityd.plist ClipboardSharingEnabled 1

• Now check if copy and paste is working.

For me, it worked.(iOS 17.2 & macOS Sonoma 14.2)

I hope this helps!

Labachev

84 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2023 5:42 AM in response to Forrest

Hi all,

I have faced the same issue and I've just managed to fix it by myself.

Except for having on all devices Handoff option Enabled you will need to run a command in your mac Terminal app.

Here are the steps:

• Open the Terminal app on your Mac (Applications > Utilities)

• Now, we will first delete Clipboard sharing and then enable it again. Here is how:
defaults delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.coreservices.useractivityd.plist ClipboardSharingEnabled

• Now, copy and paste this code and hit Enter:
defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.coreservices.useractivityd.plist ClipboardSharingEnabled 1

• Now check if copy and paste is working.

For me, it worked.(iOS 17.2 & macOS Sonoma 14.2)

I hope this helps!

Labachev

Nov 14, 2023 11:24 AM in response to Forrest

Apple needs to fix this ASAP. This feature was a huge selling factor in why I chose to get a Mac last year over a new Windows PC. Power users rely on macro keys / clipboard shortcuts to get a lot of work done across devices. Literally adds 30 mins to my daily workflows from having to send URLs through imsg/whatsapp to myself rather than a quick copy/paste. Not to mention I went through the whole process listed on their site to sign out/in to iCloud. Had to set up my whole iCloud / wallet again. Just a waste of time. Glad I found this where the community pointed out the problem otherwise I would have been losing it trying to figure out how to fix this still. Would like to see a response from apple regarding this but seems like they haven't even acknowledged the issue.

Jan 6, 2024 2:10 PM in response to Forrest

I've found a solution that worked for me in case anyone is still having this problem. I found that simply putting my iPhone in 'airplane' mode for a few seconds, then disabling 'airplane' mode solved it just like THAT. Only on the iPhone, Mac has no airplane mode but I didn't turn off wifi or ethernet.

I realize this thread is 9 months old but I ran into this issue today and hope this helps someone out there facing the same frustration. BTW, this solved ALL continuity/handoff issues for me.

Source: idownloadblog.com (https://bit.ly/IDB_Universal_Clipboard_not_working)

I should mention that I tried this AFTER doing Labachev's terminal suggestion above which (I think) didn't work for me but it's possible the one two punch of both did the trick, I honestly don't know. If airplane mode doesn't work, run Labachev's terminal suggestions THEN enable/disable airplane mode to mimic my steps exactly.

I'm on Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 and IOS 17.2.1, both current as of January 6, 2024 (today).

Good luck!

Nov 20, 2023 9:08 PM in response to jas1

Yet another "It just (doesn't) work" feature that's got broken. I find the copy / paste works OK from Mac to iPhone but not for iPhone to Mac.

Sure, I find Windows to be a PITA generally and haven't used a Windows laptop for 15 years, but with so many of the things that are supposed to make Apple easier to live with being very patchy (Airdrop is also very temperamental) or even plain broke, I have a feeling the next big sum of money I will drop will be on a Windows laptop with better spec and less restriction. Gradually eating away at the 'ease of use' functionality of Apple knocks out one of the key reasons I have stuck with the brand.

Apr 24, 2023 10:43 AM in response to Forrest

Handoff (the name of the mechanism for transferring state data between your Mac an iPhone) doesn't rely solely on Bluetooth.

Both devices have to be logged in on the same iCloud account, and Handoff needs to be enabled.

So first check that you're logged into iCloud on both devices.

The on the Mac, check System Preferences -> General, and make sure that the 'Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices' is enabled.

On the iPhone, check Settings -> General -> AirPlay & Handoff to make sure it's enabled there.

Dec 15, 2023 10:23 AM in response to Forrest

This is a MAJOR issue!! copy/paste from mac to iphone only half the time works. I use feature a lot for work, today for example it was working great 1 minute and and then randomly stopped. normally I can restarts my iphone and it'll work again. not today.

Will be looking to switch away from apple if this doesn't get fixed

Feb 20, 2024 10:06 AM in response to Forrest

To solve it this morning without Terminal, I tried copying a piece of text from my Mac, which then pasted fine on iPhone. Trying the reverse, I copied a photo from iPhone and pasted it to my Mac.

For whatever reason, this seems to have reset the clipboard, and got things going again. Hats off to labachev for the inspiration of the clipboard being the culprit, not my Handoff settings which I haven't changed in years.

Copy and paste from iPhone to MacOS not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.