Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Is there a way to make MacBook folder creation location aware?

I'm new to MacBook and would like to create a new folder exactly where I am in the folder structure I create. For example, if I have a folder structure three levels deep (2023, Vacations, Vacation 1), I'd like to insert a new folder under Vacation 1. When I create a new folder, it drops it to the bottom of the screen, at a hirer level in the structure, and I need to drag it where I want it. I want it to insert it where my curser was, inside of Vacation 1 and avoid dragging. Is there a way to make folder creation location aware?

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 9:15 AM

It looks like you are using List View. You may see the title of the window indicating which folder is currently active.

That is where the new folder will be created.

The quickest solution in my opinion is to press Command-3 to switch to Column View.

(You can easily switch to List View again with Command-2, or to Icon View with Command-1)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2023 9:15 AM in response to dplang1

It looks like you are using List View. You may see the title of the window indicating which folder is currently active.

That is where the new folder will be created.

The quickest solution in my opinion is to press Command-3 to switch to Column View.

(You can easily switch to List View again with Command-2, or to Icon View with Command-1)

Apr 24, 2023 9:45 AM in response to dplang1

dplang1 wrote:

Luis,
I think this helps considerably. While I would prefer to add the folder in List View, it's not that big of a deal to switch to Column View from where I am first. If there's a way to add a folder in list view in a similar fashion, I'd appreciate knowing.
Thanks for the help!
Doug

Yes, but you'd have to go into the subfolder first.

Say you are in folder A and have a folder B inside it, and a folder C inside B:

Now, if you press Command-Shift-N, a new folder is created inside A:

But if you double-click on B, you will go inside B, and can create a subfolder there.

Press Command-UpArrow to return to A.

Apr 24, 2023 9:04 AM in response to dplang1

How are you creating it exactly?

The New folder option should create a folder directly in the folder you are currently in.

What view do you have the Finder in?

If using the column view, make sure you have the parent folder you want to create the folder in, selected.

You can also two finger click in the column where you want to the folder to be created, to open the context menu, and then click on "New Folder"

Is there a way to make MacBook folder creation location aware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.