Problem with non responsive Phone and Messages apps and Settings on my iPhone SE

Hi

My Messages screen stops responding shortly after I turn my phone on. Nothing on the screen response. Other apps are fine.

Same thing with my Phone / Contacts, and if someone rings me I get a tiny buzzing phone icon at the very top of my screen but can't see who it is/answer it. Phone carries on buzzing even after caller has rung off.

This is also happening with my Settings menu - I can scroll up and down but can't select anything.

I've updated the iOS, I've reset the phone, I've backed everything up to the Cloud. I've updated all other apps.

Only way I can reset the messages so I can use it or stop the phone buzzing is to turn it off and on again. Then the apps work once but stop after a while/if I exit them then try and use them again.

This has been happening since late Sunday afternoon. No new apps downloaded, phone barely used on Sunday and was fine in the morning...

All ideas and suggestions welcome!

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 5:41 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 25, 2023 5:56 AM in response to Bees2010

Check your iPhone settings

Go to Settings and turn on Airplane Mode, wait five seconds, then turn it off. Check Do Not Disturb. Go to Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb and make sure it's turned off. Check for any blocked phone numbers.

If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone - Apple Support

Can't send or receive message then try these steps first

1. Restart your device: ... 
  2. Check your network connection. ... 
  3. Check with your carrier to see if the type of message you're trying to send, like MMS or SMS, is supported.
  4. If you're trying to send group MMS messages on an iPhone, go to Settings > Messages and turn on MMS Messaging.

More items...

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or ...

Apr 25, 2023 5:57 AM in response to Bees2010

1. Restart the device. That's it.
  2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

1. Follow the Apple article to resolve the issue --> If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen ...
  2. If not resolved; please follow the steps in the following link for support with this issue: If your iOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly

• You still see a black screen after charging, force restarting, following the steps in this article.
  • You see a black screen, but you can hear alerts, sounds, and vibrations.
  • The screen remains black, but the device chirps when you unmute it and connect it to power.
  • Your screen is on, but it doesn't respond when you tap, slide, or try other gestures. 
  • You can't force your device to restart because a button is broken or stuck.
  • Your device is stuck on the Apple logo, displays a solid color, or isn't recognized in iTunes.

Contact Apple Support to set up service if you have any of the above issues:

Apr 25, 2023 6:01 AM in response to SravanKrA

There's no problem closing Messages / Contacts but sometimes when I reopen I just get a white screen for about 30 seconds.

Both apps work initially if I turn phone off completely and turn on again - I can use them. But then they stop working - I can open them, see them, but the screen just doesn't respond when using that app.

All other apps are fine.

Apple advice is to delete and reinstall apps that aren't functioning properly - but there's no option to delete Phone and/or Messages.

It feels like a software problem that is only affecting core functions and only once phone has been powered up for a few minutes.

Problem with non responsive Phone and Messages apps and Settings on my iPhone SE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.