Why does apple tv + has low stream quality / resolution in windows browser PC ?

Hi,

I have observed that apple tv has low stream quality in PC browsers like lower than 720P. Simple google search shows issue exists from long time and no proper solution is found, but here's the thing i found that show/movie trailer quality is fine but when we actually stream the show quality drops.

Here i am attaching screens grabs of the trailer and same screen grab in the show episode. Looks like apple algorithm deliberately lowering the quality when we are watching the show.

I have tried changing DNS server and enabling deliberatelyPlayReady DRM as mentioned in below discussion.

Apple TV+ Streaming low resolution on PC … - Apple Community

You can clearly see the difference between trailer and show. I have used same Edge browser for the all the screenshots.

If this is how it is , to enjoy content only on apple devices then i would cancel my subscription , no use in paying full bucks for sub-par quality

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 30, 2023 12:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2024 2:13 PM

I am 100000% sure this issue only happens on non-Apple devices.

If you use iPad, you are fine. Mac computers? fine.

Apple TV box? fine

Windows PC? nah

Please prove me i am wrong. lol Apple.

3 replies

Apr 30, 2023 1:54 PM in response to Vinay_Ambekar

I have no experience with AppleTV, but generally streaming online HD content using a browser will produce just 720p at best due to the paranoid nature of the movie & television media industry. I don't know if Safari will allow a better experience than third party browsers. On Windows, I believe some content may be streamed at 1080p when using the Edge browser, but this may vary with the source of the content.

Using a proprietary app is the only way to get real HD streaming on devices today since the movie & television industry treats legitimate paying customers/subscribers as thieves (so does the gaming industry).

Why does apple tv + has low stream quality / resolution in windows browser PC ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.