Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple CarPlay GPS wrong location issue

Hello,

I bought a car with CarPlay functionality (RAV4 limited 2023). I am using it with an iPhone 13 pro under IOS16.4.1a (latest OS to date). CarPlay works except for navigation apps. When I use either Waze, Google maps or Apple maps, the location gets switched between the actual current location and somewhere 20-30 meters from the car. Therefore the GPS guidance doesn't work since the actual location is incorrect.

GPS apps on the iPhone works fine when not connected with CarPlay in this car. GPS navigation system from the car works fine when the phone is not connected.

I tried to start GPS apps first before connecting it to the car. It usually works for a few minutes (1-5 minutes) then the location is again off by 20-30 meters. I tried to start the GPS apps after I connect the phone to the car and I get the same result.

If I disconnect the phone, the car and iPhone GPS give me correct location. If I reconnect them, both give me the wrong location. When the car is not moving, the wrong location remains at the same spot even after I

disconnect/reconnect the phone. So it's not giving a random location. It's off by 20-30 meters.

Has anyone ever seen anything similar?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on May 2, 2023 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 3:27 PM

Update: With CarPlay in my 2023 VW Taos, the GPS will suddenly and unexpectedly show me to be in the wrong location. The error is several hundred feet to several miles. This is very dangerous when you are on a highlway and it suddenly tells you to turn on a road that does not exist. I updated my iPhone to iOS 17.0.2. It did not help. I have rebooted both the car system and the phone. It does not help. Most recently, this happened when I was parked in my driveway. I was connected to CarPlay. The map in the car AND on my phone showed the same WRONG location. I simply turned off Wi-Fi on my phone and immediately as the iphone disconnected from the car, the map on my phone switched to the correct location. Incidentally, my phone works fine with CarPlay in my Bolt.

Similar questions

181 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2023 3:27 PM in response to sealclas

Update: With CarPlay in my 2023 VW Taos, the GPS will suddenly and unexpectedly show me to be in the wrong location. The error is several hundred feet to several miles. This is very dangerous when you are on a highlway and it suddenly tells you to turn on a road that does not exist. I updated my iPhone to iOS 17.0.2. It did not help. I have rebooted both the car system and the phone. It does not help. Most recently, this happened when I was parked in my driveway. I was connected to CarPlay. The map in the car AND on my phone showed the same WRONG location. I simply turned off Wi-Fi on my phone and immediately as the iphone disconnected from the car, the map on my phone switched to the correct location. Incidentally, my phone works fine with CarPlay in my Bolt.

Dec 21, 2023 4:34 AM in response to sealclas

I have been facing the same issue with

• iPhone 15
  • Carplay on my Toyota Hyryder.
  • iOS version: latest 17.2.1

Whenever I enter my car and start using the navigation on carPlay it works fine until my phone screen gets auto-locked.

Once the screen gets locked the location starts showing incorrectly. Once it goes to this state it does not improve even if I unlock my phone or go to Apple maps, Google Maps, compass app, etc.

It goes wrong as much as more than 4-5 km away from my real location. I have even recorded a video where my car is infront of renowned Hotel landmarks and on my AppleCarPlay Apple Maps, it shows me that I am 4.6 km away from that Hotel :(

Now in this broken location state if I disconnect carplay, immediately my location gets corrected.

From what I have understood, Apple CarPlay has built an architecture to gather the user's location using other location sources like radio, etc that come with the car. I am not sure why they are not ready to rely on the GPS receiver available in the iPhone where the hardware is built and controlled by them.

This is the first time Apple built software on top of hardware (the car head unit) not owned by them and has not done a technically correct job. The gimmick (of making cars discoverable even in hard-to-track locations) has screwed up here. I would suggest Apple keep it simple and fix the basics.

Android on the other side has no such issues.

Apple could have used other sources as a fallback instead of as the primary source. The moment the phone screen gets locked the navigation goes insane.

It's clear this issue is from Apple itself given iOS devices and CarPlay OS is owned and built by them. Apple should rectify its flawed architecture and provide updates.

PS:

The same issue never happens when I use any of my Android phones with Android Auto in the same car.

Even after such a long discussion thread running for so long where people are facing issues across the world, let's see if the Apple Customer Support team has any empathy toward the customers who have trusted Apple while purchasing such costly devices.

Nov 11, 2023 11:53 AM in response to sealclas

I took my VW Atlas 2021 to the dealership and this is what they told me.

There is no repairs at this time. It is on the apple communication side with VW. VW is aware of the concern and it occurred with Apple's latest update. They have no ETA at this moment when the update will be available but it will come over the air, so you we get an alert for the update through the infotainment screen.

Dec 22, 2023 5:52 PM in response to Lsr1238

Your dealership is misinformed and of course they are pushing the problem off their plate when it is in fact them. The issue has been happening since I got my 2021 Atlas back on iOS 15, so it’s not possible that recent updates are causing this. Furthermore, CarPlay works perfectly in my other CarPlay enabled vehicle. From what I’ve gathered from other posts, this has something to do with a faulty carnet or telematics module. My Atlas has been at the dealer for the last two weeks as I put my foot down recently and told them I don’t want the car back until they fix the issue since it has been going on for over two years. Supposedly an update just came out that may fix the issue. We will see, am likely to get the car back sometime next week.

Aug 10, 2023 10:07 AM in response to sealclas

I did a case last night as well. I found information online that eventually helped. Speaking for just Pioneer radios. The radio is sending data from the vehicles speed sensor for “offline” usage in the event GPS signal is lost and CarPlay can can function offline until signal is restored. Example going through tunnels or mountains. The android auto is not using this feature from the radio so it is not effecting Android devices. I tested this yesterday. I went into the radios settings and found the 3D Calibration Status setting and was able to clear the old data. This instantly fixed my issue with CarPlay and made “My Location” in maps accurate again.

Jun 4, 2023 1:41 PM in response to sealclas

Same here. I tested with three different apps and took screenshots. the GPS accuracy isn’t different, +/- 16 feet. When I do a delta between the readings I get 100 ft off.

What I did to test:

1. Fire up maps app, note my position and coordinates.
  2. Step into my vehicle and fire it up, within a minute or two, I’m 100’ NE of where ever I am.

I am able to reproduce this with multiple GPS apps, Apple Maps, Google Maps, Tomtom and Gaia GPS.

Feb 1, 2024 9:37 PM in response to joseph4200

The VW's GPS is wrong and it is being used as the primary source in CarPlay which causes the phone to use that bad location while running CarPlay. My car and iPhone with CarPlay behaves exactly the same way. Great video showing the issue, thanks!

It seems to be primarily the VW system bad location. Questions that don't have answers yet:

1. Why is the VW GPS so terrible?

2. Why can't Apple CarPlay allow you to choose the phone's source as the location instead of the car's GPS source?

Surely by now both Apple and VW know what the real issue is. Neither will admit responsibility for a solution.

I spent over 4 hours on the phone with Apple tech support and that yielded nothing.

Dec 6, 2023 10:23 PM in response to sealclas

This is clearly a Toyota issue. I have the same issue in my 2024 Toyota Highlander with my iPhone 15 Pro. Additional data points for you:

1. The car GPS location is accurate when I switch between CarPlaya and the Toyota navigation functions.
  2. As soon as I turn CarPlay off, the phone corrects its location within 60 seconds.
  3. Resetting the phone or reinstalling the app does not help.
  4. When I plug the phone in and use CarPlay in a wired capacity, it corrects itself within 60 seconds. If I unplug the phone again and return to wireless CarPlay, it drifts again.
  5. I have not had this issue with dozens of other CarPlay pairings in my other cars or in rental cars.

I thought CarPlay was universal - brut it clearly does not work well with wireless instances in Toyotas.

Oct 31, 2023 3:48 PM in response to WombatAttack

VW installed a software update for me over a month ago. As you said, my location was wrong right out of the dealer. The next day, it seemed to work ok and worked ok for a week or so. Then it started randomly putting me in the wrong location. It seems that if I turn on navigation, drive, and then park somewhere and go into the store, and then come out and start driving, it gets confused and thinks I am still located where I parked. Then, when it tries to catch up it gets all confused and puts me blocks or even miles from where I actually am located.

Other times when I am on the highway and it is working, it will suddenly tell me to turn on a street that is somewhere I am not. Very dangerous! When it is wrong, it is wrong on both the phone and the car monitor. If I turn off wifi on my phone and disconnect from CarPlay, the phone immediately shows me the correct location. Usually when I reconnect to CarPlay, the location on both phone and car are again wrong.

Feb 22, 2024 5:42 AM in response to sealclas

This issue happens when your vehicle infotainment system Wireless car play. If the head unit only support Wired then the issue will not occur. If car support wireless then it does not matter if you connect with wire or wireless but you will see your GPS playing with you frequently. After iOs 15 this bug was introduced but seems Apple gives a **** about the sufferings and inconvenience customer faces. THIS CAN BE VERY VERY DANGEROUS.

Apple CarPlay GPS wrong location issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.