Sandisk 1TB ssd not getting detected.

Sandisk 1TB ssd not getting detected in my MacBook Air-M2. Model no : SDSSDE30-1T00. The same gets detected in Windows Laptop. I am using a USB C -USB C cable.

Tried formatting in Ex-FAT in windows but still not showing up

MacBook Air, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 5, 2023 12:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2023 10:16 PM

Following occurs as soon as I plug in the SSD. The screen shots are attached. I am not able to format / erase.

23 replies

Oct 10, 2023 6:28 AM in response to Mauktik_P

I had this issue, too.

SSD: SanDisk 2T external 1000mb version.

Cable: USB C to USB C from SanDisk

Computer: MacBook Pro 16 M2 2023

Software: MacOS Sonoma 14.0

Issue: External drive can't be detected, the driver doesn't show on the desktop.

Solution:

• Plug the external drive into a Windows computer.
  • There should be a alert message pop out: "This disk have xxx error, repare it now?"
  • Click repair, wait the process to complete, mine took me about 3 mins.
  • Try the drive on Mac again, it should shows up.
  • No data is missing for me.

Hope it works for you.

May 5, 2023 1:59 AM in response to Mauktik_P

There are several reasons why your SanDisk 1TB SSD may not be getting detected on your MacBook Air M2. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check the USB-C port: Make sure the USB-C port you are using on your MacBook Air M2 is working properly. Try connecting other USB-C devices to the same port to see if they are recognized by your MacBook Air M2. If the port is not working, you may need to get it repaired or replaced.

2. Check the cable: Ensure that the USB-C cable you are using is compatible with your MacBook Air M2 and the SanDisk SSD. Try using a different USB-C cable to see if the issue persists.

3. Check the SanDisk SSD on another Mac: Try connecting the SanDisk SSD to another Mac to see if it is recognized. If it is recognized on another Mac, the issue may be with your MacBook Air M2.

4. Check the formatting: Ensure that the SanDisk SSD is formatted in a compatible format for your MacBook Air M2. Ex-FAT is generally compatible with both Windows and Mac, but you can try formatting it in a different format, such as HFS+ or APFS, to see if that resolves the issue.

5. Check for driver updates: Ensure that your MacBook Air M2 has the latest software updates installed. Also, check for any driver updates for the SanDisk SSD on the SanDisk website.

6. Try resetting SMC and NVRAM: Resetting the SMC (System Management Controller) and NVRAM (Non-Volatile Random-Access Memory) on your MacBook Air M2 may help resolve the issue. You can find instructions on how to do this on the Apple support website.

If none of these steps work, you may need to contact SanDisk support or Apple support for further assistance.

May 5, 2023 10:39 PM in response to Mauktik_P

Mauktik_P Said:

"Sandisk 1TB ssd not getting detected in my MacBook Air-M2. Model no : SDSSDE30-1T00.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting and External Drive:

See if your Hard drive is Failing:

Some Tips that may Help:

• Perform the following in Recovery Mode:
  1. Boot: into Recovery ModeGo Here:  How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac- Apple Support
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: the Drive
  4. Click: First Aid button

Jul 17, 2023 12:08 PM in response to DanielFatieiev

DanielFatieiev wrote:

I have found the solution!! I've plugged in ssd to windows and on that ssd was InstallSanDiskSoftware.dmg. After installation DMG on Mac it becomes visible.

In conclusion, I would recommend to install software for your External SSD. In my case I had SanDisk Extreme

There should be no need to run any third party software in order to use an external drive unless the external SSD is has hardware encryption enabled which does not seem to be the case for the OP since we can see the storage being utilized....208GB used out of 280GB. If the SSD had hardware encryption enabled, then we would not be able to see that information.

The only other time the manufacturer's software needs to be used is when you want to write to an NTFS volume. macOS is able to read an NTFS volume....just not able to write to an NTFS volume. The OP clearly stated they erased the drive as exFAT so no third party software is needed.

FYI, People using third party software to manage their external drives will sooner or later find that a macOS update may prevent access to their external drive which has happened several times over the last couple of years where users had to wait months before someone fixed their software. Best to avoid using third party software to manage an external drive if at all possible.

Jul 17, 2023 12:24 PM in response to Mauktik_P

How old is this SanDisk SSD? I know that some older drives may not be compatible with an Apple Silicon Mac since the USB chipset used by some older devices are not compatible (at least this was the case when the Apple Silicon Macs were first introduced in 2020).

See if your SanDisk SSD is affected by this known firmware issue (I think it only affects more recent 2TB & 4TB SanDisk Extreme SSDs though):

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/50763/~/sandisk-extreme-portable-ssd-v2%2C-sandisk-extreme-pro-portable-ssd-v2%2C-and-wd-my

Sometimes macOS and Disk Utility get confused if there is something unexpected going on with the partition table, so sometimes you must destroy the partition table on the drive before macOS & Disk Utility will work properly. On the Windows PC, use Disk Management to delete all partitions from the SSD. There is also a Windows command line option which will clear the SSD which will do a better job. See this article for instructions:

https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/reset-ssd-with-windows-diskpart

After deleting all partitions or using the Windows command line to clean the SSD, connect the SSD to your Mac and use Disk Utility to erase it as GUID partition and the file system of your choice (MacOS Extended Journaled, APFS, or exFAT). Personally I would try MacOS Extended (Journaled) first, then try exFAT if you want to use the drive with Windows as well. FYI, macOS is not always able to read an exFAT drive formatted on Windows since Windows may use a file allocation size which is not compatible with macOS.

If you still have issues, then you may want to check the health of the SSD by using DriveDx on macOS (will need to install a special USB driver), or using GSmartControl on Windows (portable version of the app available so no installation is necessary). Even with the special USB driver on macOS there is no guarantee that the SSD's enclosure will allow the necessary communication to access the SSD's health information). If you can gather the SSD's health information, then post the full text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

May 5, 2023 5:31 AM in response to Mauktik_P

Check on the PC to see if it if formatted with MBR partitioning or GUID partitioning. If GUID, you may want to try reformatting with MBR partitioning. You will need to do this in Widows Disk Management I believe the simple formatting in Windows Explorer does not give that option. If MBR, then reformat with GUID. Also, make sure that permissions are set for all to read/write.

If that works and you do no intend to use it with a Windows machine anymore, reformat on Mac to GUID and APFS.

May 6, 2023 5:23 AM in response to Mauktik_P

when used on the PC, did you install any Sandisk drivers? They were not needed as Windows can handle external SSDs without drivers. If you did, this may be causing some odd formatting issues that makes it incompatible with other computers.

Did you at anytime encrypt or otherwise protect the disk? This can also cause issues using with other machines.

FWIW, I have a couple SanDisk Extreme v2 SSDs and they are working without issue. However, they were never used on a Windows machine.

Nov 5, 2023 4:15 PM in response to westbahn

westbahn wrote:

Same here, Macbook Pro 14' 2023 ( Sonoma 14.1). Icy Box Hub with NVMe Slot the 1TB is not recognized. Older 250GB shows up. Different cables, formatting to AFPS, different ports, powering external, Nothing did work.

Apple you have a serious problem, here !!

It is up to the third party manufacturers to make their products compatible with one another. In your specific case, you are using a third party hub along with a third party SSD. In order for macOS to even recognize the SSD requires that the SSD works in the Ice Box Hub. Have you confirmed these two items work together by testing on other computers, especially a Windows or Linux based system?

How is they Icy Box Hub connected to the Mac? Need specific and exact links to the cables & adapters used since they may make a huge difference, plus a link to the Icy Box Hub you are using since I don't know what you have and there are multiple possibilities. Also, what it the exact make & model of both SSDs....are they installed into this hub or do they have their own separate adapter/dock/enclosure? The 1TB NVMe and the older 250GB one? This is also extremely important to know. Not all SSDs work with all computers, hubs, docks, adapter, or enclosures. Yes, theoretically they should, but in my own personal experience this is not always the case.

Make sure to disconnect all other external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

I've been supporting Macs for my organization for over 20 years and I have seen numerous third party devices not function with a Mac even though they should have worked perfectly fine. It is not something new. Maybe Apple is somewhat to blame at times, but I'm sure some of the third party manufacturers also have at least equal or more blame for having a product which does not function with a major brand computer. FYI, I have used Icy Box SATA sleds without issue on Macs, so I know that Icy Box can make a good product....are all their products good? I don't know. My guess the issue has something to do with the SSD being used or possibly the cable being used or how everything is connected.

I suggest you start your own thread so we can try to assist you with your issue so we don't lose focus on the OP's issue which may have a completely different reason for failing. I've just outlined multiple reasons for your failure, but that only scratches the surface of possibilities since there could be issues with third party software or other configuration issues.

Sandisk 1TB ssd not getting detected.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.