Can't add contacts to a list - or delete a list

In macOS 13.3.1(a) on my MacBook Air M1, using the Contacts app, I can create a List, but I can't add contacts to it (or to an older list). When I drag the contact on top of the list it does not become solid blue and the contact is not added. Similarly, I cannot delete a list.

Note that if I close the Contacts app, and start again, I can successfully drag contacts into lists and delete lists - for a short while - then all of a sudden, I can drag contacts where ever I wish, but nothing happens. Also at this time, I can not delete lists.

These functions work ok on my iPhone and in iCloud. Sometimes the MacBook Air does not sync contact changes with the iPhone and iCloud. Other times it does sync, but still does not allow me to drag contacts into a list.

I think I have had this problem for a while, but I'm not sure.

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 6, 2023 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2023 9:37 AM

I don't see any of the usual suspects in the report. You might try the following: create and log into a new, basic, admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Maclog into your Apple iCloud account and see if the problem persists. This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide.

Note:  do not launch any 3rd party apps in the account so as to not install any of the supporting files that most create.

If the problem isn't present then your original account has software installed that is contributing to the problem which isn't one of the usual suspects.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2023 9:37 AM in response to jdbartram

I don't see any of the usual suspects in the report. You might try the following: create and log into a new, basic, admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Maclog into your Apple iCloud account and see if the problem persists. This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide.

Note:  do not launch any 3rd party apps in the account so as to not install any of the supporting files that most create.

If the problem isn't present then your original account has software installed that is contributing to the problem which isn't one of the usual suspects.

May 6, 2023 12:28 PM in response to jdbartram

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

May 6, 2023 1:22 PM in response to jdbartram

Create and log into a new, basic, admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and see if the problem persists. This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide.

If the problem isn't present then your original account has software installed that is causing the problem.  

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

May 6, 2023 3:51 PM in response to jdbartram

Download and run Etrecheck. Be sure to give it Full Disk access before running.

Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

May 7, 2023 10:50 AM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad,

You had suggested this yesterday, which I had done and still had the problem.

However, I tried turning Wi-Fi off to see what would happen. I was able to drag hundreds of contacts into lists with no problems. As soon as I turned Wi-Fi back on this process failed within two or three minutes.

I also tried connecting to my iPhone as a hotspot and again I was unable to drag contacts into Lists after a few minutes.

So the problem is isolated to when Wi-Fi is ON.

May 7, 2023 1:26 PM in response to jdbartram

jdbartram wrote:

However, I tried turning Wi-Fi off to see what would happen. I was able to drag hundreds of contacts into lists with no problems. As soon as I turned Wi-Fi back on this process failed within two or three minutes.

I also tried connecting to my iPhone as a hotspot and again I was unable to drag contacts into Lists after a few minutes.

So the problem is isolated to when Wi-Fi is ON.

Now that is just beyond bizarre.

Can't add contacts to a list - or delete a list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.