Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

I need a tutorial to show me how this differs from Word as I am new to Mac and Pages App

I have used PC exclusively for 44 years - and am good with all applications - but with Mac - the applications (such as Pages) seem similar to the Office applications - but there are frustrating differences which there is no training for. I asked at an Apple Store and they did not give training on Applications - only general training on maneuvering around the Mac. I need assistance.

Posted on May 7, 2023 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2023 12:54 PM

There is no training for Pages beyond reading the available documentation at Pages - Official Apple Support , and asking questions here. We are not Apple Support and are fellow users that use Pages daily.

Give this Pages User Guide for Mac - Apple Support a studied perusal.

Pages is not a clone of MS Word and will translate a Word document into Pages internal document format on opening, and another translation occurs from Pages document format back to Word during Export. Apple does not guarantee that will be accurate between either application. So, there are gaping differences between Microsoft Word and Pages.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2023 12:54 PM in response to romafain

There is no training for Pages beyond reading the available documentation at Pages - Official Apple Support , and asking questions here. We are not Apple Support and are fellow users that use Pages daily.

Give this Pages User Guide for Mac - Apple Support a studied perusal.

Pages is not a clone of MS Word and will translate a Word document into Pages internal document format on opening, and another translation occurs from Pages document format back to Word during Export. Apple does not guarantee that will be accurate between either application. So, there are gaping differences between Microsoft Word and Pages.

May 13, 2023 4:28 AM in response to romafain

Certainly! I can provide you with a brief tutorial highlighting the differences between Microsoft Word and Pages on Mac. Although both applications serve as word processors, they do have some distinct features and variations in functionality. Let's explore the key differences:

1. User Interface:
    • Pages: The Pages app has a sleek and minimalist interface, designed specifically for Mac. It emphasizes ease of use and offers a clean layout with a toolbar at the top.
    • Word: Microsoft Word has a more comprehensive and feature-rich interface. It provides a wide range of tools and options, with a ribbon at the top containing multiple tabs.
  1. Compatibility:
    • Pages: It is the default word processing application on Mac and iOS devices. Pages can save documents in various formats, including .docx (Word), PDF, plain text, and more. However, some advanced Word features may not be fully compatible.
    • Word: As the industry standard, Word is widely used on both Windows and Mac platforms. It supports multiple file formats and offers seamless compatibility with other Office applications.
  1. Templates and Styles:
    • Pages: It offers a wide range of built-in templates, allowing you to create visually appealing documents quickly. Pages also provides numerous predefined styles and customization options for fonts, colors, and layout.
    • Word: Similarly, Word provides various templates and styles for documents, catering to different needs and purposes. It also offers extensive formatting options for text, paragraphs, and page layout.
  1. Collaboration and Sharing:
    • Pages: With Pages, you can collaborate with others in real-time on Mac, iCloud.com, and iOS devices. You can invite others to view and edit documents simultaneously, leave comments, and track changes.
    • Word: Microsoft Word provides collaborative features through OneDrive and SharePoint. You can share documents, collaborate in real-time, and co-author with others, even if they are using different platforms.
  1. Advanced Features:
    • Pages: While Pages may lack some advanced features compared to Word, it still offers a comprehensive set of tools for word processing, including advanced typography, graphic editing, and integration with Apple's ecosystem.
    • Word: Microsoft Word offers a broad range of advanced features, such as mail merge, extensive formatting options, complex tables and formulas, advanced reviewing and editing tools, and integration with other Office applications.

Remember that this is just a brief overview of the key differences between Pages and Word. Both applications have their own strengths and weaknesses. Exploring each application in more detail and experimenting with their features will help you adapt to Pages as a Word alternative on your Mac.

If you have any specific questions or need assistance with particular features in Pages, feel free to ask!

May 13, 2023 4:15 AM in response to romafain

Reply to romafain ; Pages Help ✏️

My personal usage experience ( not intended to offend any operating system ) …

On the Mac , the Text Edit app is wonderful , although it can't be used on my iPad , I'm still wondering why . I have been trying to figure out the Pages App for five years now and I still don't get it ! Hang on to your Word app for now ~ I'm looking for a replacement that is compatible and approved for Apple devices .

I find Pages quite confusing just to type up a document . I've been through all of the help documentation , it still doesn't make sense to me .

I'm using ( Mac ~ Ventura , iPad OS 16.4.1 (9th generation) , & iPhone 7 ) .

If anyone has a recommendation , please reply to this post . Thanks 🙏

I need a tutorial to show me how this differs from Word as I am new to Mac and Pages App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.