Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Pages still crashing May 2023

Pages is crashing about once an hour. The version is: version 13.0 (7036.0.126). It is saving to iCloud. I'm on a MacBook Pro, M1 Pro, with 32GB, and running Ventura 13.3.1(a). The document is ~30 pages long but with graphics. I start from the document chooser. Unity 3D and Numbers are usually running at the same time.

When it crashes, there is no warning, no spinning disk, it simply goes blank. It does show a failure window but there is no "report" button, only "restart". I don't lose much when it crashes, usually a few keystrokes, but it is strange to have it happen, to have no option to file a bug report — and to see so little in help.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 13, 2023 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2023 8:29 AM

One of the reasons that Pages will crash is if it is attempting to reference an uninstalled font. Another possibility is a corrupted file and not necessarily the current Pages document. Boot into Safe mode again, and this time,

press shift+cmd+g to open the Go To Folder dialog. Copy and paste the following into that dialog followed by a return:

~/Library/Caches

That will open a new Finder Window on the local Caches folder. Press cmd+A to select everything in that folder, and then press cmd+delete to move the selections to the Trash. Reboot — don't empty the Trash in Safe Boot mode. After the Reboot, then empty the Trash. Now, open that same Pages document again. See if the crashes go away.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2023 8:29 AM in response to mschabin

One of the reasons that Pages will crash is if it is attempting to reference an uninstalled font. Another possibility is a corrupted file and not necessarily the current Pages document. Boot into Safe mode again, and this time,

press shift+cmd+g to open the Go To Folder dialog. Copy and paste the following into that dialog followed by a return:

~/Library/Caches

That will open a new Finder Window on the local Caches folder. Press cmd+A to select everything in that folder, and then press cmd+delete to move the selections to the Trash. Reboot — don't empty the Trash in Safe Boot mode. After the Reboot, then empty the Trash. Now, open that same Pages document again. See if the crashes go away.

May 26, 2023 7:39 AM in response to Randall_2023

Hi Randall,

Thank you for the help and I'm sorry to take so long. After your first note, I booted in Safe Mode, then rebooted normally, thinking that, as you suggested, the diagnostics might fix the problem. It didn't. Then I booted into safe mode Pages has seemed stable. Because I have a deadline, I didn't reboot and didn't respond to your note.

However, Pages just crashed again. I'll get Etrecheck and send the results. In the meantime, post the crash report as additional text now.

May 14, 2023 11:21 AM in response to mschabin

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to uninstall a system application like Pages. Or to re-install it unless you were to re-install the entire macOS. Does the problem still occur if you don't have any other applications opened? But does Pages crash while you are still in safe mode? If not, it still suggests that something you have running while logged in as your normal user is interfering.

Download the Application Etrecheck from the Developer. This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer. It creates a detailed report of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer. The application is free but also has a paid version that has added features. 

(The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information.) 

Reply here in this thread, with the Full Report: Copy and Paste it, Using the Additional Text Icon (Shown below)

May 14, 2023 8:58 AM in response to Randall_2023

Thank you. I don't have any 3rd party optimizing software or anti-virus software installed, but I haven't tried booting in safe mode. I didn't realize that would cause the diagnostics to run, which could very well solve the problem.

It is such a strange thing to have Pages crash. It has always seemed like the most robust program around.

Jun 7, 2023 8:47 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you both for your help.

I cleared the Cashes folder, restarted, and emptied the trash. Pages crashed once about an hour later, but that was it and it has been about 9 days and I use it every day for 3 - 5 hours. So, I'm guessing that fixed the problem.

I also upgraded the OS to 13.4 a few days ago, when it became available and that might have done it anyway.

The main thing is to say thank you.

Pages still crashing May 2023

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.