You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display Mac Mini on tv goes to black after slumber

Hey there.I have a strange problem.

I have a Mac Mini 2018 (OS 13.3.1) that is connected to my Panasonic tv (2016) with a HDMI connection. All good, no probs there, but...

When the Mac goes to slumber and I wake it up some time later the screen is black. No image on my tv. A hard reset resolves the problem (most of the time), but that is not how it should be.

What I found out: when I use Screensharing with another Mac, I can see that the Mac Mini is on and functioning as it should, but when I look at 'Displays' in the Settings the Panasonic tv has disappeared and replaced with 'built-in

display'. And I cannot change it back!

See the images. First one with the Panasonic display that works and the second with no image on my tv (sorry, the language is in Dutch).

Any idea's? Thanks!

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 19, 2023 11:52 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

May 21, 2023 12:19 PM in response to hcsitas

Dear hcsitas,

I'm afraid your advise did not help.

I turned off sleep and used all the settings you said. Then I switched off the television for some hours. When I turned the tv back on the same problem occured. Black screen, but I can see the Mac Mini is active when I use the Share screen function on my Macbook. Again in 'Displays' it says 'Built-in display'.

May 21, 2023 12:33 PM in response to kooi2000

That’s different from your original description where you didn’t mention powering the TV off. The settings turn the display off on timer and wake it up when you’re ready to use it (click on mouse or tap keyboard). I’m not sure if your TV supports that, if not, you’re gonna have to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable to resume it.

May 21, 2023 1:19 PM in response to hcsitas

Hope the Panasonic TV has some settings I can change, yeah.

Well, the reason is that I use the mac as a media server. To watch and stream movies and listen to music.

This is a replacement. My last Mac mini was from 2011 and became very slow. But that one never had one problem with the same tv. It went to sleep and whan I woke it up the image was back. So strange that this new one from 2018 and with a newer OS has this problem...

Display Mac Mini on tv goes to black after slumber

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.