Wireless charge question : The charge stopped because IPhone temperature

Dear community,

At every wireless charge I receive this message : "Charging On Hold. Charging will resume when iPhone returns to normal temperature". I use an Anker wireless charger and the IPhone model is 13 mini. At my wife's IPhone(IPhone XR), the same message. I changed wireless charger with a Samsung and the same message appeared. Is this cause for concern? Should I change wireless charger? If yes, what model do you recommend ?

Sincerely yours,

Claudiu

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 16

Posted on May 19, 2023 1:36 PM

9 replies

May 20, 2023 7:55 AM in response to ClaudiuAlex

I think I have found the answer. iPhones have always paused at 80% when fast charged to allow the battery to cool down, but they didn’t display a message; they just paused until the phone's temperature stabilized. Users have sometimes asked in ASC why it has “stopped charging at 80%,” and this is the answer; that it has to cool down, and will resume after a pause.

With iOS 16.5 and later Apple has added a message SAYING why it has paused. But if you had never noticed that it paused at 80%, then this sounds like the update broke something. It's normal, just more information about why it paused.

Jun 12, 2023 6:01 PM in response to Gr8pe-ape

iPhones have always paused at 80% when fast charged to allow the battery to cool down, but they didn’t display a message; they just paused until the phone's temperature stabilized. Users have sometimes asked in ASC why it has “stopped charging at 80%,” and this is the answer; that it has to cool down, and will resume after a pause.

With iOS 16.5 and later Apple has added a message SAYING why it has paused. But if you had never noticed that it paused at 80%, then this sounds like the update broke something. It's normal, just more information about why it paused.

Wireless charge question : The charge stopped because IPhone temperature

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.