Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Why does my AirTag only work at home?

Why does my AirTag only work at home ? I have one on my cat he ran off today and I couldn’t locate him , he was literally in the back not far in our garage. Are AirTags not dependable if far away from Wi-Fi ?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 20, 2023 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2023 6:11 AM

airtag rely on bluetooth so the range is only around 30meters, they work by being able to piggybag on ios devices within bluetooth range with bluetooth enabled, and then send the gps cords of said ios device to your icloud so your phone can get a fixture, so if your cat is outside of bluetooth range of ios devices like if he runs into the woods, then the airtag will be dead in the water

which I suppose is why they don't advertise it as a good instrument to track pets

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2023 6:11 AM in response to Monstriahh

airtag rely on bluetooth so the range is only around 30meters, they work by being able to piggybag on ios devices within bluetooth range with bluetooth enabled, and then send the gps cords of said ios device to your icloud so your phone can get a fixture, so if your cat is outside of bluetooth range of ios devices like if he runs into the woods, then the airtag will be dead in the water

which I suppose is why they don't advertise it as a good instrument to track pets

Why does my AirTag only work at home?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.