Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Why doesn't Final Cut Pro X handle HDR video well by default?

If I shoot HDR video on my iPhone 14 Pro, and play it in Quicktime Player, it looks fine. But Final Cut Pro X shows it all washed out. In order to get it to look reasonable, I have to go to HDR tools, fiddle manually with some stuff, and hope I'm doing it right. I haven't found a way to apply the changes to all of the clips at once.

Hasn't Final Cut Pro X gotten the memo that iPhones are producing HDR video by default? Why doesn't it automatically detect that its HDR video and apply filters needed to make it look good by default; and then let pros do something fancy with it if they're purposely making an HDR video?

I had to turn HDR video off on my iPhone because it was such a pain to work with. This seems to be a case of the iPhone and FCPX sides of Apple not communicating.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 20, 2023 1:10 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

May 22, 2023 9:28 AM in response to terryb

Thanks. That was helpful to see how to deal with projects that are completely HDR.

But even in that video, it shows that if you want to do a mix of HDR and standard video, you have to use an HDR Tools filter, and then manually adjust exposure in the highlight and midtone range. Why doesn't FCPX do what iMove, Safari and Quicktime do, and filter HDR video automatically in an SD project so you don't blow out or have to manually edit it? I think the math is known for this already, so why make users edit it manually?

May 22, 2023 10:16 AM in response to ranboii

QuickTime and Safari don't have projects. They only play a file in a single format. iMovie changes all HDR to SDR. FCP does not assume all users what to go to SDR. Projects can be either HDR or SDR and have a variety of color spaces. Why doesn't FCP fix it automatically? So the user has control over how they want to treat the media and how they want it to look.

May 23, 2023 10:25 AM in response to Davis_

Thanks! That's actually what I was hoping for. I guess they just hadn't gotten around to that yet in the version I was using.

I appreciate the other comments here, too, that helped me better understand how HDR video is intended to be used. But the latest update to FCP looks like it also treats HDR video intelligently when dropped into a SD project.

Jan 11, 2024 11:07 AM in response to ranboii

ranboii wrote:

The latest version of Final Cut Pro X (10.7.1) finally handles HDR video and regular video seamlessly. Apparently it just took them a year or two to catch up.

It would be more accurate to specify iPhone video in the title and in this last post, as FCP has been handling HDR video very well since 2020 when I started using it. I'm talking ProRes and ProRes Raw video though, not iPhone.

For me, it was a matter of trial and error initially as there was very little HDR documentation apart from the FCP help. It has greatly improved in ease of use of HDR over time with gradual updates especially with the introduction of Color Conform in one of the more recent updates before 10.7. But even before that, it was pretty straigtforward. Make the library Wide Gamut, choose HDR PQ or HDR HLG and conform manually.

Why doesn't Final Cut Pro X handle HDR video well by default?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.