Mac desktop doesn't print on HP Officejet 8600

I have a Mac Mini, Ventura 13.3.1. I can no longer print on my HP Officejet 8600. I have tried using the printer on our network, plugging it into a USB port, turrning it off and unplugging it and leaving it over night. It shows up in the list of available printers, but when I try to print I eventually get the message "Waiting for printer to become available." and it never becomes available, apparently. Any ideas?

Mac mini (2018)

Posted on May 24, 2023 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2023 5:43 PM

These are the 3 solutions that have been used to get the HP printer printing again. It may be best to update Ventura to 13.4 first, to prevent the issue from reappearing. I would start with the first option to reinstall the printer as this is the easiest solution. Before trying these, make sure the printer is connected to the same wifi network as your Mac.

Re-install printer:

• Go to System Settings > Printer & Scanners and remove printer.
  • Restarting Router and Mac has solved the problem for some, but since you have done that already, I won't include it here.
  • Make sure it is connected to the same wifi as the Mac
  • Add Printer at the Printer & Scanners screen
  • Choose the printer using the standard AirPrint/Bonjour drivers, not HP drivers if those show up too. It may take a couple of seconds for the printer to show up.

If that does not solve the problem, then Reset Printing System. This will remove all printers:

• Go to System Settings > Printer & Scanners
  • Right-Click on the Printer and choose Reset Printing System
  • Add Printer again

If that does not solve the problem, download the HP Smart App and install using app. You will not need the app to print, but for some reason using this process can kickstart the printer to respond to printing.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1716406-1413451-16

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2023 5:43 PM in response to Sherrybikesdc

These are the 3 solutions that have been used to get the HP printer printing again. It may be best to update Ventura to 13.4 first, to prevent the issue from reappearing. I would start with the first option to reinstall the printer as this is the easiest solution. Before trying these, make sure the printer is connected to the same wifi network as your Mac.

Re-install printer:

• Go to System Settings > Printer & Scanners and remove printer.
  • Restarting Router and Mac has solved the problem for some, but since you have done that already, I won't include it here.
  • Make sure it is connected to the same wifi as the Mac
  • Add Printer at the Printer & Scanners screen
  • Choose the printer using the standard AirPrint/Bonjour drivers, not HP drivers if those show up too. It may take a couple of seconds for the printer to show up.

If that does not solve the problem, then Reset Printing System. This will remove all printers:

• Go to System Settings > Printer & Scanners
  • Right-Click on the Printer and choose Reset Printing System
  • Add Printer again

If that does not solve the problem, download the HP Smart App and install using app. You will not need the app to print, but for some reason using this process can kickstart the printer to respond to printing.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1716406-1413451-16

May 25, 2023 9:00 AM in response to Sherrybikesdc

Sherrybikesdc wrote:

Update: tl;dr Thanks, it's working now.

I updated to MacOS 13.4. Then I shut the printer down, unplugged it, left it to marinate for 5 minutes, turned it back on. I made sure I was on the exact same network as the printer, and it worked. The snag is that our network offers a 5G option, which I usually use but apparently the printer can't use as it doesn't show up as an option when setting the printer up. Sigh. I would rather have the inconvenience of switching networks to print than send yet another piece of "obsolete" hardware to the land fill.

Yes, the printer is probably about 10 years old (or more). We'll keep it going as long as we can.

If (when?) you decide to replace, you will want to look for AirPrint support. Preferably with that minimally, and—if your usage extends beyond Apple platforms—probably also IPP/IPPS support.

Which Printer Should I Buy? - Apple Community

May 24, 2023 6:29 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

I was assuming it had AirPrint compatibility as listed in one of these printers:

• HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 e-All-In-One
  • HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 e-All-In-One
  • HP OfficeJet Pro 8630 e-All-In-One
  • HP OfficeJet Pro 8640 e-All-In-One
  • HP OfficeJet Pro 8650 e-All-In-One
  • HP OfficeJet Pro 8660 e-All-In-One

If it is not one of these, then the AirPrint option would not be available.

May 24, 2023 5:56 PM in response to Sherrybikesdc

In addition to the above…

Update to macOS 13.4.

There’s a printer firmware update from a few years back, as well. If that has not already been applied, you will want to apply that, too.

The printer lacks AirPrint. Seemingly also IPP/IPPS support. Both of which are protocols which can assist with printer longevity. An omission of AirPrint which is unfortunate, but then this is an old printer.

The printer does have a web server, meaning it can be administered using a web browser when connected to s network. Try that, and see if the printer is answering. Most modern browsers will balk about an insecure connection to this printer, but will be able to override the warnings and connect. See if you can connect to the printer using Safari or another browser, specifying the printer’s IP address. (Details on page 232ff, here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03026243.pdf)

May 24, 2023 7:27 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

The HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 is probably from 2012 or so, based on the 2014 2nd edition publication date in the manual linked earlier.

As for the digits that HP uses in their model naming… Sometimes a printer family relationship can be inferred, and sometimes any inferences are just incorrect. HP has sometimes re-used he same numbers for very different printers, too. The full name is an important detail when troubleshooting. And the HP #part #numbers are, well, #weird.

May 25, 2023 8:39 AM in response to Sherrybikesdc

Update: tl;dr Thanks, it's working now.

I updated to MacOS 13.4. Then I shut the printer down, unplugged it, left it to marinate for 5 minutes, turned it back on. I made sure I was on the exact same network as the printer, and it worked. The snag is that our network offers a 5G option, which I usually use but apparently the printer can't use as it doesn't show up as an option when setting the printer up. Sigh. I would rather have the inconvenience of switching networks to print than send yet another piece of "obsolete" hardware to the land fill.

Yes, the printer is probably about 10 years old (or more). We'll keep it going as long as we can.

Mac desktop doesn't print on HP Officejet 8600

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.