120fps video files won't open on Ventura 13.4

I was working on a project with clips recorded on 120fps and 60fps, I was editing for a day and I had no issues with the footage. Then I updated to the new version of Ventura (13.4) and also updated Final Cut. After the Ventura update, when I restarted my MacBook Pro M1 Max, I couldn't play the clips filmed on 120fps.

On the finder they just appear black and you only can hear the sound, and on Final Cut is the same.

Does anyone know why is the computer not playing the files and how to solve it?

Here are some screenshot so you can see how it looks.

Thank you so much in advance.

Hanns

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on May 25, 2023 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 12:57 AM

Hello!

I joined the Apple Beta Software Programm and did the update (Ventura 13.5 Beta 2) like some of you suggested and it worked! I am not gonna lie, I was very nervous about doing it, but until now, no bugs or errors. I can play the 120fps again, on finder and Final Cut.

Hopefully the new official update will come out soon!

Thank you all for writing and making noise, it is the only way to get things done!

Hanns

Similar questions

78 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2023 12:57 AM in response to Hannstagram

Hello!

I joined the Apple Beta Software Programm and did the update (Ventura 13.5 Beta 2) like some of you suggested and it worked! I am not gonna lie, I was very nervous about doing it, but until now, no bugs or errors. I can play the 120fps again, on finder and Final Cut.

Hopefully the new official update will come out soon!

Thank you all for writing and making noise, it is the only way to get things done!

Hanns

May 30, 2023 6:02 AM in response to Hannstagram

If these are your production machines and critical to your work then why did you just install macOS 13.4 without doing some research and testing. Professionals set up a test system machine, or on a partition, and test their software before updating.

Pleading now for Apple to fix things may take awhile. macOS 13.4 is likely one of the last updates before a new version is released.

May 26, 2023 12:03 PM in response to Hannstagram

Same thing happened to me. First I thought it was a bad batch of Sandisk Extreme Pro 4tb SSDs. The only app that can show the content of the clips so far is EditReady. I haven't got to paid $100 for a subscription to explore a complete solution to the issue but the point is that most of us video editors who need to deliver a product need to sit and wait for a new update? Going crazy here. Last week all my clips at 120fps were fine. After the updates, all gone.

May 28, 2023 2:07 PM in response to Hannstagram

Same issue all my 10 bit 422 Sony SLOG 3 4k/120 footage is bricked with QuickTime preview as a black screen! Audio plays after a few seconds or so, but not working anywhere. DaVinci studio says the footage doesn't even exist. That's what alerted me to a problem in the first place. It was loaded footage that I knew was working before I did a Ventura update 13.4 which was actually supposed to be video codec updates, but it definitely messed something up. Apple please fix ASAP! at least 6 projects all with content shot in slow motion I need to get done. Bringing my computer in to get the OS downgraded is not an option and I don't have an intel based Mac to run the downgrade. Please help!

May 30, 2023 7:36 AM in response to lkrupp

Ok Ikrupp, you are here to let us know how dumb we are. We got it. You are so smart you must already be retired. Go enjoy your family. Show the world how good you are at surfing, skiing, rock climbing instead of coming here to state the obvious and make people feel worse than they do. You are not here to offer any solution or to share a similar experience.

Jun 1, 2023 6:29 AM in response to Hannstagram

So I just received a call from Apple and they told me there is a lot of people reporting this issue. Because they realised it is not an individual case, and its a major problem, the only way to solve it is getting the the developers from the operating system (Ventura in this case) in Cupertino to fix it. Because of that, the problem is going to take from 2 to 3 weeks to solve and it will be fixed with the next update.

Let's hope they can fix it quicker! and in the mean time... we just have to wait...

I wish you all a nice day from wherever you are!

May 31, 2023 12:30 PM in response to Hannstagram

Same here! Apple this is absolutely mind blowing!! As most professionals, I did do my research, but this is a very specific issue that I would expect to work. I never found this issue until i searched the EXACT issue. Basic video playback? I understand these are high frame rates but this is not unusual.

To anyone reading with this issue, this is where I’m at with solutions until apple fixes:

1. Adobe Premiere reads my files. I will most likely be continuing in here until Apple has an update.
  2. If you had proxies made in FCP prior to updating, those still work. May not be ideal but if anything export it out, lean into the lower quality and throw some VHS fx on it and reexport after the proxy export.
  3. VLC can convert video, but I’d recommend premiere over that!

Jun 3, 2023 4:00 PM in response to feydan

And again, to prevent this happening again on your production hardware take the following advice.

1. If enabled turn OFF auto-update on your business Mac
  2. Do not immediately install a newly released update. Wait a week or two and research any problems users are reporting.
  3. Before updating your business Mac make sure you have multiple (more than one) backups of your important apps and files.

The same advice goes for updates to your production software. If an updated or new version is released either wait to see what others say or have a test system in place to make surest performs to your specifications.

You will save yourself grief and anxiety. Look before you leap, as the old saying goes.

May 30, 2023 6:13 AM in response to lkrupp

I'm sure that several searches had been done from a lot of people here. All the creators were unanimous on the fact that this update brings very good aspects for video editing. If you have the budget to scrap a computer for testing, great.

The truth is, you can't expect your videos to fail to open after an update designed for video editing...

120fps video files won't open on Ventura 13.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.