CarPlay not working after iOS 16.5 Update

after upgrading my iPhone Pro Max from 16.4.1 to 16.5 my Carplay does not work. I cannot download back to 16.4.1, will 16.6.1 restore carplay?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 26, 2023 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 4:03 PM

I wish I had read this before we bought our new iPhone 14 Pros today and had this problem. It connects via Bluetooth but will not connect to CarPlay so I can’t access my map or anything. REALLY ****** OFF.

104 replies

Jun 1, 2023 12:58 PM in response to brwyche

I have the same problem. I followed all the recommended steps:

• use Apple lightning cord (not aftermarket). I tried a couple as well as aftermarket. They charge but don't connect Carplay.
  • make sure screen time setting doesn't restrict content & privacy on Carplay
  • make sure Face ID & Passcode settings allow USB accessory access
  • reset Chrysler infotainment settings
  • restart phone and restart car
  • Go into Apple Carplay settings and "forget this car" and then reconnect (now car won't show up)
  • Reset Apple phone settings (now I have to reset Face ID for all apps that use it)
  • upgrade iOS (which I cannot because I have the latest 16.5 and that's what got me into this mess in the first place)

None of the above works. As brwyche says, it's the 16.5 update, not the car. Works with my daughter's phone who has not yet updated to 16.5.

I use Carplay so much: check in with my kids on my way to pick them up, call family while on a long drive, listen to podcasts, use map settings for quick distance and travel time estimates, etc. Now I can't do any of that. I can Blutooth for phone conversations only, but I hate using Bluetooth because it automatically connects and I don't always want it connected.

I really need a fix for this.

Jul 11, 2023 6:38 PM in response to RenegadeSaint

I have a 2021 Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid and the problems you described are happening on my car also.

This has only been happening since the update to 16.5.1 and is so upsetting.

At one point I used "Forget this device" for my Toyota and paired it again, still the same result.

The volume control randomly works or not and as you said steering wheel buttons don't respond.

This is a maybe it will work this time or maybe not scenario!

I thought I was losing my mind!

APPLE PLEASE GET THIS BUG FIXED ASAP!

Jul 15, 2023 11:11 AM in response to bogey77

bogey77 wrote:

Hi lobster, No way! The phone does an update , not the car! Apple should apply not mercedes!!

Sorry, but you are completely wrong. App Developers (in this case Mercedes) are provided the API for all iOS updates before they are released and they are responsible for ensuring their app works compatibly with the new iOS. Why do you think your apps get updated en masse before an iOS update? It’s because Apple provided the API for the new iOS before it is released, so they can ensure their app works with the update correctly.

So if CarPlay isn’t working, you should contact Mercedes for help. Or don’t and you can be frustrated.

May 27, 2023 3:47 AM in response to brwyche

I have a Chrysler 300 with Apple CarPly. I upgraded my iPhone from 16.4.1 to 16.5 now my CarPlay don't work. after talking to Apple support and Chrysler customer care we came to the conclusion it's the 16.5 that's not compactable. I read Apple have 16.6 in Bata and offered is to whoever request to be a tester. that's why I asked will 16.6 fix the Apple Car play. Now I'm asking anyone from Apple.

Jul 5, 2023 2:37 PM in response to Blainegee

Blainegee wrote:

Same boat. 2020 rav4 hybrid. CarPlay doesn’t always connect. When it does it drops every 2-3 minutes. Volume know will often also not work. Started immediately after 16.5 upgrade. FIX THIS APPLE

Apple isn't here. This is a user to user only forum and no one from Apple will read this or respond to you.

If you want Apple to know you're having an issue, provide Apple feedback via this link --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Note that most people are not having an issue. CarPlay on iOS 16.5.1 works just fine in my Genesis GV70. No one in my office seems to be having a CarPlay issue either. With CarPlay it's often not an easy diagnosis. There are many car systems out there. And it's likely your car system may need an update. What did your car manufacturer say when you let them know you were having an issue with the system? Also, have you updated to iOS 16.5.1, which was released now more than a week ago? Update your iPhone, then restart it and see if it works better for you.

Jul 28, 2023 6:40 AM in response to bogey77

You simply proved you didn't have your settings set up correctly for Apple CarPlay to work. To my knowledge, having Siri active has always been a requirement for CarPlay. So there's nothing wrong with iOS, your phone, nor your car.

I'm glad you figured out what you needed to do to get CarPlay working correctly.

If you don't like having Siri active to use CarPlay, feel free to provide feedback to Apple via this link --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

But since having Siri active has always been required, I wouldn't expect this to change. Think about it. Using the voice control through your car, Siri would be necessary to do things like ask CarPlay to call someone. That's just how Apple designed the interface to work.

Aug 27, 2023 3:25 PM in response to thabiso229

thabiso229 wrote:

iPhone 6s

Update both your iPhone iOS and your infotainment firmware to current. For the infotainment firmware update process, check the vehicle owner's manual, or check with the vehicle dealer.

If the iPhone was previously paired with this infotainment system, unpair on the iPhone and also unpair on the infotainment system both. Again, unpair at both ends. Unpair on the iPhone CarPlay settings, and also unpair on the infotainment system settings.

If you have the Screen Time feature enabled on the iPhone, turn that off. Or in iPhone Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, check whether Content & Privacy Restrictions is enabled, and if so then tap on Allowed Apps, and ensure CarPlay access is is enabled.

Force-restart the iPhone: Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

Re-pair it with the infotainment system. Try again.

More info: If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support

Aug 27, 2023 3:27 PM in response to thabiso229

thabiso229 wrote:

iPhone 6s

Then your iPhone should be updated to iOS 15.7.8, which is the highest iOS your iPhone can support. Since you've skipped a couple years worth of updates, you will likely need to update your iPhone using your computer and iTunes. This link explains how to do that --> Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes - Apple Support (PH)

Jul 12, 2023 8:44 AM in response to Bikerbabe108

Bikerbabe108 wrote:

I have a new Iphone13, on IOS16.5.1 (a) plugged into my Honda Civic and apple play works like 1 in 10 times... the rest of time shows as disconnected.
Original cable
Old phone on IOS16.5.1 works fine

Two things come to mind:

1. Did you force restart your new iPhone after doing the update? If no, do so. Press and quickly release the volume up button. Then press and quickly release the volume down button. Then immediately press and keep holding the side power button. Keep holding it past the swipe to power off and keep holding it until the screen goes dark and keep holding it until the Apple Logo appears, then let go. Sign back in when prompted.
  2. Go into Settings App on your new iPhone. Tap General, then tap About. See the iPhone name and change it, so it is not the same name as the old iPhone. Change it to something like Brad's iPhone 13.

Having the same name for both phones, can often confuse the car.

Dec 27, 2023 4:16 PM in response to brwyche

I had this problem, too. I found a solution! First, some background about my particular situation.

I have an iPhone 15 Pro, up to date with 17.2.1. I bought a Subaru Outback 2024 Onyx edition in October. I have never had an issue with iPhone with any previous car, so I went to the dealership for help.

After doing all the troubleshooting, repairing, blah, blah, the service manager pointed out that the nav system was mirroring my phone but that my phone could not reach the server. Ding ding! I knew what the problem was!

it was likely a change to the DNS server on the Verizon network or a bad entry in the cache. Here’s how I resolved it:

• Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone
  • Click Reset and select Reset Network Settings

voila! It worked!

side note - You’ll need to log in to your other networks again, because this dumps the cache.

Cheers!

Jun 7, 2023 5:50 AM in response to brwyche

Out of desperation and trying everything I finally decided to reset my infotainment settings back to factory, removed my car from Bluetooth, etc and reconnect my phone to my car and this seemed to work. Not sure why or how the iPhone update would jack things up between the infotainment system and my phone but wiping them both clean from settings on both cat infotainment and phone worked

CarPlay not working after iOS 16.5 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.