Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 14 Battery Drain Issues

i updated to iOS 16.5 yesterday and i want to go back but apple stopped signing iOS 16.4 today 🥲

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on May 26, 2023 10:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 12:36 AM

For about two months, probably after upgrading the iOS my battery on my 14 Pro will drain 80% in eight hours with all apps closed and in airplane mode or with wifi or with cellular. It came on suddenly, and Apple support has no solutions. And Apple care has no way of knowing what apps or services that are actually running in the background that’s causing the drain.

56 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2023 12:36 AM in response to Jhl79

For about two months, probably after upgrading the iOS my battery on my 14 Pro will drain 80% in eight hours with all apps closed and in airplane mode or with wifi or with cellular. It came on suddenly, and Apple support has no solutions. And Apple care has no way of knowing what apps or services that are actually running in the background that’s causing the drain.

May 26, 2023 11:33 PM in response to inmemoryofjane

Protect & Prolong the life of your iPhone's Battery:

1. About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ...
  2. Batteries - Maximising Performance - Apple (IN)
  3. iPhone Battery and Performance

Try some of these options too.

To prolong the life of your iPhone battery, you can follow these tips and best practices:

To prolong the life of your iPhone battery, you can follow these tips and best practices:

1. Optimize Battery Charging: Enable the "Optimized Battery Charging" feature on your iPhone. It helps reduce the wear on the battery by slowing down the battery aging process. You can find this option in Settings > Battery > Battery Health.
  2. Avoid Extreme Temperatures: Extreme temperatures, both hot and cold, can negatively impact your battery life. Avoid exposing your iPhone to excessive heat or cold, such as leaving it in direct sunlight or in a freezing car.
  3. Use Original Chargers and Cables: Always use Apple's original chargers and cables or certified third-party accessories. Low-quality chargers or cables can damage the battery and reduce its lifespan.
  4. Avoid Draining the Battery to Zero: Charge it whenever the charge becomes lower than 20%
  5. Optimize Display Settings: Adjust your display settings to optimize battery life. Lower the screen brightness, enable auto-brightness, and use shorter screen timeout durations.
  6. Minimize Background App Refresh: Limit the number of apps allowed to refresh in the background. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and disable it for apps that don't require real-time updates.
  7. Disable Push Email: Push email notifications can drain your battery quickly. Instead, set your email accounts to fetch data manually or at longer intervals. You can change this setting in Settings > Mail > Accounts > Fetch New Data.
  8. Disable Unnecessary Notifications: Reduce the number of unnecessary notifications you receive. Go to Settings > Notifications and customize which apps can send you notifications.
  9. Limit Location Services: Some apps use GPS and location services in the background, which can drain your battery. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and disable location access for apps that don't require it.
  10. Update iOS: Keep your iPhone's operating system up to date. Apple regularly releases updates that can include optimizations and improvements for battery life.
  11. Limit Background App Activity: Close or force quit apps that are running in the background but are not needed. Double-press the home button (or swipe up from the bottom on iPhone X or later) and swipe away the unnecessary apps.
  12. Enable Low Power Mode: When your battery is running low, enable Low Power Mode in Settings > Battery. It reduces power consumption by disabling non-essential features.
  13. Avoid Battery Drain during Storage: If you need to store your iPhone for an extended period, make sure to charge it to around 50% first. This helps prevent the battery from draining completely, which can be harmful.
  14. Disable Dynamic Backgrounds and Motion Effects: Dynamic backgrounds and motion effects use additional processing power and can impact battery life. Use a static wallpaper and disable parallax motion effects in Settings > Accessibility > Motion > Reduce Motion.
  15. Limit Widgets: Widgets on the Today View can consume battery life. Remove or limit the number of widgets displayed by swiping right on the home screen, scrolling to the bottom, and tapping Edit.
  16. Adjust Auto-Lock Time: Shorten the auto-lock time on your iPhone. Go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock, and select a shorter time interval to turn off the screen more quickly when not in use.
  17. Use Wi-Fi Instead of Cellular Data: When possible, connect to Wi-Fi networks instead of relying on cellular data. Using Wi-Fi consumes less power than using cellular data.
  18. Enable Airplane Mode in Low or No Coverage Areas: When you're in an area with low or no cellular coverage, enabling Airplane Mode can prevent your iPhone from constantly searching for a signal and draining the battery.
  19. Disable Background App Refresh for Cellular Data: If you have limited data plans, consider disabling Background App Refresh for cellular data to reduce data usage and preserve battery life. You can find this option in Settings > General > Background App Refresh.

By following these tips, you can help prolong the battery life of your iPhone and maintain its overall performance over time.

May 26, 2023 11:33 PM in response to inmemoryofjane

If the issues you mentioned are indeed caused by iOS, it's likely that numerous users who have upgraded to iOS 16.5 are experiencing similar problems. However, in order for the community on this forum to provide helpful responses, it would be beneficial for you to specify the nature of the issue you are encountering. Without this information, it may be difficult for others to address your concern effectively.

With the limited information that you have provided, It is hard to even guess the problems faced by you. 

You may get faster and better responses to your query by --> Writing an effective Apple Support Commun… - Apple ...

Please re-post with detail so that someone else can help.

May 26, 2023 11:35 PM in response to inmemoryofjane

Is your iPhone hot?

My experience says this is purely caused by some third-party app that you may have installed.

I am not aware of the ambient temperature in which you are using the iPhone. However --> Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable ...

Store the device where the temperature is between -20º and 45º C (-4º to 113º F). Don’t leave the device in your car, because temperatures in parked cars can exceed this range.

Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range might temporarily shorten battery life and could cause the device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when you bring the device back to higher ambient temperatures. Using an iOS device in very hot conditions can permanently shorten battery life.

May 27, 2023 10:52 AM in response to inmemoryofjane

I have exactly the same issue but on all my iOS devices. It seems it's coming from an insane amount of traffic going to and from iCloud. If you reset your mobile data stats and come off wifi you should see what I mean, it is doing about a gb in 10 mins. Not backing up just "messaging services", I have just done some analysis on my wifi network and all the data is coming from iCloud, so when you drop off wifi it's hammering the data connection. Sadly I don't have a fix yet I am still working on it, but wanted you to know your not alone.

Jul 20, 2023 5:06 AM in response to SravanKrA

I am having the same problem with my iPhone 14 after the iOS 16.5.1 update. I never had any problems at all before the update with heating or overheating or any messages about stopping my charging because my phone was getting hot. Plus, my iPhone battery now drains rapidly. I have to charge it all the time now. This is the truth. This is happening and I would like to know what Apple is going to do about it. Instead of ignoring it because it’s true it’s happening after the update. Help us please. We really need help with this please I just bought this phone a few months ago in. In February I never had any problems with it until after the update. A lot of people have told me that they don’t like to upgrade or update their phones. Now I know why. Please help us.

Jul 26, 2023 6:49 AM in response to SravanKrA

iPhone 14 Battery Drain Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.