Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Can't sign into iMessage on iPad

Saturday, May 27th, I was signed out of iMessage on my iPad overnight and I've been unable to sign back in since then. I changed my password that day thinking someone might've gotten access to my account somehow. I signed out of my Apple ID, signed back in, and shut off/turned back on my iPad, but nothing has helped.

I'll open iMessage and it'll prompt me to enter my ID/password, which I do, then it loads for a few minutes before giving me an "Unable to contact the FaceTime server" error. When I go into iMessage or FaceTime in settings, the entire app freezes and I have to close/reopen it to get it to work again. My OS is up to date and iMessage still works perfectly fine on my iPhone.

I have no clue why I was signed out to begin with (while I was fast asleep, mind you) and I'm at a loss for how to fix this. Any help is appreciated.

iPad Pro

Posted on May 29, 2023 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2023 2:13 PM

Did you ever get this resolved. I’m having the exact same problem. Thanks

Similar questions

18 replies

May 30, 2023 2:11 PM in response to raviolimeister

Hello raviolimeister,

If you're not able to re-activate FaceTime or iMessage on your iPad, check the steps in If you can’t turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime against the steps you've already tried.

1. Check your network connection and confirm your date and time are set correctly.
  2. Disable iMessage and FaceTime in Settings and restart your iPad.
  3. Enable both again and wait.

It can take up to 24 hours (after the last time you enabled iMessage and FaceTime) to activate again. In the meantime, make sure your iPad is on the latest iPadOS version at Settings > General > Software Update.

All Our Best.

Apr 12, 2024 12:16 AM in response to raviolimeister

Oh my god, I'm literally dealing with the SAME PROBLEM RIGHT NOW on my iPad.

I tried EVERYTHING.

iMessage- sign in (a hundred times of this and waiting) - takes 2-5-6 minutes of "loading" until it says "unable to contact the FaceTime Server. TrY aGaIn."

Access iMessage through the Settings App - ALSO loads only to say "TrY aGaIn" or something, but there's no option to turn it on or off- plush the "sign in" option is grey and won't let me access it.

I've changed my Apple password TWICE today.

Restarted the iPad - nothing happens.

Checked the data, time, and wi-fi, and all's good there.

Freakin' SIGNED OUT AND SINGED BACK INTO MY APPLE ACCOUNT, and guess what.

NOTHING. HAPPENS.

It's gonna take me until I grow grey hair for this iPad to work, and I'm 23 for crying out loud.

The worst part though? Is me actually being HAPPY that I'm not the ONLY ONE CONFUSED WITH THIS.

So life is good.

Apr 6, 2024 5:00 AM in response to raviolimeister

I’ve just had this problem.

this is going to sound ridiculous, but it worked, I simply turned the IPad fully off (slide power mode off) you do this by holding the on button and the volume button down at the same time, let it sit for a second and then turn it back on again using the power button, when I then went onto iMessage and signed in using Apple ID, it worked straight away.

Can't sign into iMessage on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.