My iPhone asks for passcode with Face ID

Why is my device asking for passcode pretty regularly? I thought face identification is supposed to be the best out there ?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on May 29, 2023 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2024 11:31 PM

iOS 17.3 iPhone 15 pro max, seems to asking me to use password to activate Face ID at least every third unlock. It’s really only just begun to happen this month. So just to be clear, it’s not after a restart, it’s not after an update, it’s not after long periods of inactivity. I have reset my Face ID, I have run all the latest updates, yet, it is still happening? Would love a fix, or an idea?

55 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2024 11:31 PM in response to Irishbhoy1967

iOS 17.3 iPhone 15 pro max, seems to asking me to use password to activate Face ID at least every third unlock. It’s really only just begun to happen this month. So just to be clear, it’s not after a restart, it’s not after an update, it’s not after long periods of inactivity. I have reset my Face ID, I have run all the latest updates, yet, it is still happening? Would love a fix, or an idea?

Jan 8, 2024 12:53 PM in response to Irishbhoy1967

I got the same problem but it’s not every few days it every few hours some times less then an hour apart. Why the **** does facial recognition even exist when I’m forced to type a code more then I’m aloud to use facial recognition? My phone tells me to slide up to unlock phone then tells me I can’t use facial recognition that I have to manually type a password to activate facial recognition? This happens even after I JUST used my

Phone 5 mins ago yes my phone is fully up to date

Jan 4, 2024 5:35 AM in response to Tesserax

that's when Apple gets it wrong. A passcode or even a password is NOT more secure than a biometric id. In fact, if security is the main concern, they should implement multiple biometrics Ids (such as face Id and touch Id, or voice).

It's much harder to duplicate a person face than to crack a passcode, which for many users will be date of birth or name of their dog and yes, we do recommend they don't do that but they still do. There is no way to have an "easy to crack" face Id, it's something you are, not something you know, that's the difference.

Feb 2, 2024 10:55 AM in response to Irishbhoy1967

The big issue here is that while Apple normally gets the user experience and logic right, it doesn't in this case.

A passcode is really a bad way to authenticate, even you could have an all numeric passcode which is easy to crack.

Face Id is supposed to be way more secure. Why switch to an archaic less secure method? I think Apple should rely on biometrics all the time, unless there is a problem with it or the user decides to use a passcode instead.

Being asked multiple times or too often if just a sub product of a badly designed workflow.

May 29, 2023 4:34 PM in response to Irishbhoy1967

While other users have provided all the support articles about using Face ID and adjusting its settings which may well solve your problem, I just have a couple of tips that can affect recognition:

• Make sure no part of the notch on top is covered. While you may see the camera in the middle, on both sides of the notch are small sensors to measure depth and if they are obscured at all will fail the Face ID.
  • Face ID constantly learns your face when if fails and you enter the passcode, so if someone else uses your phone a lot by entering your passcode, it can alter it enough where your face may not be recognized as easily.
  • If another person uses your phone or you occasionally alter your look with glasses, scarves, piercings, or large makeup changes, create an Alternate photo to give Face ID a better chance of recognition. And if it is another person using your phone, you can add them as the Alternate photo.
  • You may want to reset the Face ID photos, just to give it a fresh start and see how it goes from there. When setting the photo, hold the phone at the distance you would normally use to have it recognized. There is a little bit of leeway in the distance when setting it up.

May 29, 2023 4:05 PM in response to Irishbhoy1967

The phone asks generally about once a week plus other situations. See list below:

The following security-sensitive operations always require entry of a passcode or password:

• Updating the software
  • Erasing the device
  • Viewing or changing passcode settings
  • Installing configuration profiles
  • Unlocking the Security & Privacy pane in System Preferences on Mac
  • Unlocking the Users & Groups pane in System Preferences on Mac (if FileVault is turned on)

A passcode or password is also required if the device is in any of the following states:

• The device has just been turned on or restarted.
  • The user has logged out of their Mac account (or hasn’t yet logged in).
  • The user hasn’t unlocked their device for more than 48 hours.
  • The user hasn’t used their passcode or password to unlock their device for 156 hours (six and a half days) and the user hasn’t used a biometric to unlock their device in 4 hours.
  • The device has received a remote lock command.
  • The user exited power off/Emergency SOS by pressing and holding either volume button and the Sleep/Wake button simultaneously for 2 seconds and then pressing Cancel.
  • There were five unsuccessful biometric match attempts (though for usability, the device might offer entering a passcode or password instead of using biometrics after a smaller number of failures).

Ref:

Face ID, Touch ID, passcodes and passwords – Apple Support (AU)

Feb 4, 2024 6:25 AM in response to Irishbhoy1967

Same problem here. Passwords and passcodes are not as secure as biometrics. It makes little sense why a few failed biometric attempts would require a less secure method of authentication. This is especially annoying in the winter when I'm all bundled up and because I am wearing a neck gaiter pulled up like a face mask, facial recognition (even with the mask feature turned on) doesn't recognize me, resulting in the password/passcode requirement. Many times it's too cold/or one hand is full, so I am unable to take the glove off, thus I can't access my phone to do the things I needed to do.

This password/passcode backup for facial recognition should be configrable. Specifically, the method of backup should be a choice, e.g. continue to try facial recognition or enter password/passcode as a backup. Better yet, bring back fingerprint scanning, then one biometric could be the backup for the other.

Mar 16, 2024 10:38 AM in response to coryneee

I know the issue discussed was that Face ID is failing and prompting for a passcode too often; however, the fundamental issue is that it ever asks for a passcode at all.

If Face ID fails, that means someone else is trying to open your phone. That person should not have the option to try to put in a passcode. Either you’re the one unlocking your phone with your face or you’re not. If I choose to use Face ID, the phone should strictly rely on Face ID alone.

We should then be able to set up multiple users if we would like someone else to be able to unlock the phone too with Face ID. There is no point of Face ID option if it just gives the person who is not you, a passcode alternative.

There are other instances where Face ID is just lacking sense. For example, if you want to allow someone to use your phone so you allow them to know the passcode to unlock your phone, the method for opening private browsing tabs or the hidden album folder should be different than just the same passcode used to unlock the phone. At minimum, those items should rely strictly on Face ID so that only the owner of the phone is opening them.

May 29, 2023 4:03 PM in response to Irishbhoy1967

If you do any of the following, you need enter your passcode:

After you set a passcode, on supported models you can use Face ID or Touch ID to unlock iPhone (depending on your model). For additional security, however, you must always enter your passcode to unlock your iPhone under the following conditions:

• You turn on or restart your iPhone.
  • You haven’t unlocked your iPhone for more than 48 hours.
  • You haven’t unlocked your iPhone with the passcode in the last 6.5 days, and you haven’t unlocked it with Face ID or Touch ID in the last 4 hours.
  • Your iPhone receives a remote lock command.
  • There are five unsuccessful attempts to unlock your iPhone with Face ID or Touch ID.
  • An attempt to use Emergency SOS is initiated (see Use Emergency SOS).
  • An attempt to view your Medical ID is initiated (see Set up and view your Medical ID).

Feb 19, 2024 4:34 AM in response to Irishbhoy1967

Before I complain, I would like to say that I have been an Apple user since the IIcI and am thankful to Apple (actually Steve Jobs) that computing was self-learning using Quark, Adobe, FileMaker Pro, and Final Cut apps (using thick manuals). Now, I'm driving on a highway and would like Waze to assist me, but it's unavailable because there's a blank iPhone screen telling me to enter the passcode to enable Touch ID which I don't need. Imagine trying to do that at 60 MPH. Now I have two options- break stride and pull over and enter the passcode safely or continue riding using instinct (like the uncomplicated old days, eh?)and not use any GPS assistance, etc. Why is disabling that requirement not an option? Further, why do I have to "once in a while:" verify my own files, have folders mistaken for discs, and not be able to permanently delete re-spawning cookies, etc (I could go on). Mac Studio, Ventura 13.5

My iPhone asks for passcode with Face ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.