Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

AirPods Pro too loud even on lowest volume setting

I've recently bought a pair AirPods 3rd gen and when I use them connected to my iPhone they are much too loud, even on the lowest volume setting. I see this was an issue a few years ago (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251950281) but no solution was posted. Just wondering if there's any way to fix this? At the moment, the AirPods are pretty much unusable.

Posted on May 31, 2023 4:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 3:45 AM

Hi, thanks for your response.

I have already tried these solutions, but after attempting them again there was still no change. Even when I 'Reduce Loud Sounds' in 'Sound & Haptics' settings, the AirPods still blast on the lowest volume setting (lowest setting on both the phone and the AirPods themselves). I have also worked through all the settings in 'Headphone Accommodations' — for context, when I use the 'play sample' option on the lowest volumes and slight boost, the sound still comes out so loud that I have to take the AirPods out of my ears almost immediately.

I have also taken the AirPods into an iStore for diagnostics, however, they only checked that the sounds were reaching high enough volumes, not that they were too high.

I am really desperate! I paid a huge amount for these but literally can't use them without fear of damaging my ears.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2023 3:45 AM in response to brbo

Hi, thanks for your response.

I have already tried these solutions, but after attempting them again there was still no change. Even when I 'Reduce Loud Sounds' in 'Sound & Haptics' settings, the AirPods still blast on the lowest volume setting (lowest setting on both the phone and the AirPods themselves). I have also worked through all the settings in 'Headphone Accommodations' — for context, when I use the 'play sample' option on the lowest volumes and slight boost, the sound still comes out so loud that I have to take the AirPods out of my ears almost immediately.

I have also taken the AirPods into an iStore for diagnostics, however, they only checked that the sounds were reaching high enough volumes, not that they were too high.

I am really desperate! I paid a huge amount for these but literally can't use them without fear of damaging my ears.

Jun 1, 2023 1:19 AM in response to Se_Mart

Hi Se_Mart,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "AirPods Pro too loud even on lowest volume setting

Just wondering if there's any way to fix this?"

You might want to check the volume level on the AirPods themselves:

Pause, skip, and adjust volume with your AirPods and AirPods Pro - Apple Support

and on iPhone:

Headphone Accommodations works with AirPods (2nd and 3rd generation): 

How to: Customize headphone audio levels on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Apple support's online video may also be helpful:

How to customize the settings for your AirPods or AirPods Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpvXuhKSLjU&t=3s

Resource:

AirPods User Guide – Apple Support

More support . info. if needed:

AirPods Support Website:

Find all the topics, resources, and contact options you need for your AirPods....

AirPods Support - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

Jun 1, 2023 2:27 PM in response to Se_Mart

Thank you for your reply, Se_Mart, and for again checking through possible settings and causes, so we know what has been tried. Many have had the opposite difficulty of sound being too quiet..

Seems you really need help (or replacement of AirPods) from Apple.

It is likely your AirPods are still under warranty ...

How to: Find the serial number of your AirPods – Apple Support

You can enter the serial number in this webpage to:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

More info., if needed:

About Warranty: Legal - Hardware Warranties - Apple

One stop for technical support, Apple hardware service, and software support.  

Call Apple Support at 1-800-APLCARE (or use the app)

AppleCare Products - Apple

Info. about Replacement : AirPods Repair & Service - Apple Support

Dec 6, 2023 2:36 PM in response to Se_Mart

Right click on the volume icon on the toolbar, select ‘Open Volume Mixer’, there should be a drop down box below the Headset icon, select your AirPods and drag to lower the volume…Your AirPods may show up twice in the drop down box, one listed as Headphones and the other listed as Headset. The one that successfully lowered the volume for me was the one listed as Headset.

AirPods Pro too loud even on lowest volume setting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.