USB SuperDrive

I have bought a brand new USB SuperDrive (thinking my old drive just didn't work) and am trying to connect it via usb to lightening connector. I says it needs to be connected to power but the USB SuperDrive has no power outlet and should work through the MacBook Air power. Please advise how to fix this issue.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 4:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 6:17 AM

LisaConno wrote:

I says it needs to be connected to power but the USB SuperDrive has no power outlet and should work through the MacBook Air power. Please advise how to fix this issue.

what that means is since the superdrive needs power, it must be connected directly to the Mac using an USB-C to USB Adapter or the equivalent. it will not have enough power if you connect it through a dock or hub.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2023 6:17 AM in response to LisaConno

LisaConno wrote:

I says it needs to be connected to power but the USB SuperDrive has no power outlet and should work through the MacBook Air power. Please advise how to fix this issue.

what that means is since the superdrive needs power, it must be connected directly to the Mac using an USB-C to USB Adapter or the equivalent. it will not have enough power if you connect it through a dock or hub.

Jun 2, 2023 11:29 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

if I remember correctly, the Apple USB SuperDrive was originally designed for the MacBook Air (which doesn't have a built-in optical drive), and didn't necessarily work with other PCs and Macs of the time.

Apple says that it "is compatible with Mac models from 2008 and later that don't have a built-in optical drive" and that "MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models with USB-C ports require a USB-C to USB adapter (sold separately) to use Apple USB SuperDrive."

The technical support article for it says "If your SuperDrive doesn't respond when connected to an external display or USB hub, connect your SuperDrive to a USB port directly on your Mac."

How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Support

Jun 2, 2023 1:43 PM in response to Servant of Cats

Servant of Cats wrote:

if I remember correctly, the Apple USB SuperDrive was originally designed for the MacBook Air (which doesn't have a built-in optical drive), and didn't necessarily work with other PCs and Macs of the time.

that is kind of correct. when the superdrive was initially launched, (2008) it was intended for the MBA. but it was soon updated for use with all Macs as internal optical drives were phased out. I believe the 2012 model year was when they were removed from the remaining Macs. and it is correct that they are designed exclusively for Macs. no windows machines will operate them.

Jun 2, 2023 2:32 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

"It was intended for the MBA, but it was soon updated for use with all Macs"

Not for use with Macs that have internal optical drives – like my Late 2009 iMac. My recollection is that it was incompatible with them. Apple doesn't claim compatibility with them. An Internet search turned up an artticle saying that connecting the USB SuperDrive to such Macs frequently results in a message saying that it "is not supported on this Mac."

USB SuperDrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.